1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a random stupid thought about SRS...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Jan 16, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I was just thinking and I know that this isn't remotely possible, BUT imagine if one day in the future like 1000 years from now scientists found a way to transplant your brain into a donor body as opposed to the current SRS treatment lol.

Would you do it...?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My instinct is to say absolutely yes, but I think seeing the 'wrong' face in the mirror every time would drive me insane, so I guess they would have to be able to implant a false facial memory in my head...which leads to a whole bunch of other issues, so I suppose I probably wouldn't...

3. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Can they put me into Natalie Portman? OMG that would rock!! Oh and Ellia, you wouldn't have to have false memories ... Facial transplant!! Optional of course! :thumbsup:

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they could get my face on their in a recognizable way, and I could be a little more petite then I'd take it in a heartbeat!

5. SWAGboy

SWAGboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd rather have interchangeable genitals so I can test out which one I like the best and then change it if I ever want to.

6. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Full on head transplant?(*hug*) I love ya Ellia!

---------- Post added 16th Jan 2014 at 09:12 AM ----------

I've kinds decided that I'm ok with people knowing I'm Trans ... At least they'll know that I know who I am. For my own sake. People always will talk (separate thread maybe ... )

7. DhammaGamer

No I wouldn't. I've thought about it before, and as much as it might appeal to me, I feel like I would be using a "used" body. Like buying a used car :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'd rather be able to implant my consciousness into a synthetic body or something like that.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is, of course, a very valid point. It would be much nicer if the body was 'mine' instead of somebody elses first

9. anonym

anonym Guest

I guess you would want to see something equivalent to 'full service history' like when you buy a car lol. Imagine though I've just thought, not knowing who the body had slept with...ewwww that's gross and puts me off the idea

10. Just Jess

This kind of thinking is why I used to love shows like Ghost in the Shell.

11. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm yah, a body transplant I don't know if I could handle. Now, sticking my consciousness into a bionic body? If only robotics were that advanced... :lol:

---------- Post added 16th Jan 2014 at 03:17 PM ----------

I like this sort of thinking actually. It's such an optimistic outlook on transness.

12. Ruthven

No way. This body is a part of me and even though it's not completely aligned (though I am lucky I have a good base and have a sorta masculine face and more masculine shaped body) I do love it despite that. I work out and stuff and keep healthy and I would never just throw my body away for something that wouldn't be mine. Besides, it's gonna be aligned when I've been on T for a good while, and that's all I need.

13. Hexagon

What I'd like is to clone another version of ourselves, with modified sex chromosomes, for that clone to be grown up nice and fast, then to have one's consciousness transferred in some way. That would be best.

14. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Awww thanks clockworkfox! Big hug!:slight_smile:

15. Ruthven

Hmmm now that I would be more comfortable with if anything.

16. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ya this is me here. If we are talking 1000 years in the future we should be able to do a lot more.

I don't recall Ghost in the shell actually exploring the idea of transgender?

17. Just Jess

It isn't addressed directly in the movie. But it is addressed in a way in the standalone complex series. There's several exchanges between Batou and the Major about why she consistently chooses a female shell. The major asks Batou why he lifts weights despite having a cybernetic body. They understand each other a lot better after that exchange.

So the implication is that you could simply drop your brain into whatever body you chose, and people retain their humanity and a few parts of their core personalities. The major is a woman. Batou is dedicated to self improvement.

But it isn't just being able to dump myself into a female body. Ghost in the shell explored a lot of what makes us human, our core identity, consciousness, that kind of stuff. My gender identity is part of my identity, who I am period, and living with a mismatch my whole life between what I'm apparently supposed to be and who I am, has raised a lot of questions. It was really great seeing a show dedicated in part to exploring those kinds of questions, and hear some of the things that I think about to myself being discussed by the characters in it. It's really why near future sci fi was my favorite genre for a long time, and what got me into computers when I was a kid.

But now I'm really rambling. I just saw us talking about swapping bodies, and it reminded me of the people in Ghost in the Shell swapping bodies. I'd imagine your body could also bathe your brain in whatever sex hormones you decided on as well.

18. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Cassie, I've never seen it either, but it sounds right up my alley. Closest I remember is your avatar, Lt. Jazida Dax.

19. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I guess that conversation counts. Though as a whole though I find myself bothered that cyberpunk media tends to avoid the issue of transgender well exploring trans everything else.

20. Just Jess

I actually chose it because when I was doing my laser hair removal, I hit the thickest patches first. So I joked that the hair I left on the side looked like the spots on Dax' neck.