1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if doctors could do this would it end the need for hrt?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by alex3191, Jan 17, 2014.

1. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I was watching this show called embarrassing bodies and this guy went to the doctors because he had developed female characteristics, (he grew breasts and was lactating), after tests were done they found he had a benign tumor pressing on his pituitary gland which was causing it to produce more female hormones, so I was thinking if a tumor could affect the pituitary gland like that couldn't a surgeon do something to make the gland produce the different levels of testosterone or estrogen? Wouldn't it be great if they figured out how to do something like that, nobody would have to worry about running out of hormones:slight_smile:

2. Just Jess

That would be really awesome!

3. Mogget

Both men and women naturally produce testosterone and estrogen. I don't see any reason, in theory, that something couldn't be done to amp up one and suppress the other. But I have very little knowledge of medicine so I have no idea how difficult or expensive it would be to do that.

4. Evil Kitten

There is also the fact that if you had SRS you'd need to go on hormones then. And I'm guessing that it would probably be easier to regulate as currently done than trying to find out how to get the body to do it.

5. DhammaGamer

I'd rather take my pills than have a tumor grown in my brain.

6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    It'd be awesome if you could do it without y'know, having the deadly brain tumor. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. KiddlesP

While I am not sure when something like that could become viable, tested, and go to market, I would imagine it would be easier for MTF than FTM.

The reason being that if you are a castrated biological male, then up the doses of estrogen produced (through whatever method), you will have much more "female" aligned hormones, though you would still most likely have more testosterone than most females at your age. But overall, in my mind, it seems easier.

I know that testosterone is produced mainly (or solely?) in 2 places in males, the testicles (major source) and adrenal glands (minor source), and only in the adrenal glands for females. So for FTM, while you could try to up the doses of testosterone produced in the adrenal glands, it would be very challenging to get the doses as high as if you had testicles, and doing so would likely start producing incredible amounts of aldosterone, and would need daily medication to counteract that. You would of course also need to have your ovaries removed, which is a more intensive surgery than a castration.

I might be missing a few things, but that is just my 2 cents. While interesting, I think better methods than that will be developed and put into use in the future.

#7 KiddlesP, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014