1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would like to hear your ideas

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by suninthesky, Jan 17, 2014.

1. suninthesky

Hey peeps,

I'm doing a presentation on gender, gender identity and trans* issues at the next PFLAG meeting in my area. I'm in a conservative area, so a lot of people aren't familiar with everything. I have a general idea of what I want to do, but I would really like your input.

What do you think would be good to cover?
    What misconceptions about the community would you clear up?
    What etiquette do you think is important for people to know when interacting with trans* people?

I would really really like to hear what ya'll have to say.

Thanks,
    Sun

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do a lot of these presentations as well. I usually include the differences between sex, gender, gender presentation and sexual orientation, some common trans* identities, what terms to not call trans* people, and some information about non-binary identities (as well as what the binary is).

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I dunno. I've thought about doing something similiar, to be honest. My area's not conservative, persay, but it's not as if transpeople grow on trees, you know?

Maybe go into the possible "whys" of being trans? Like, go over some of the theories people have put forth about where transpeople come from, like in-utuero hormone influence and brain structure? Then counter-act the misconceptions that it's media or cross-dressing that makes people trans?

I'd definitely clear up the whole deal with sexuality and gender identity being the same thing. Like, gay cismen aren't transwomen, a transperson can be gay/straight/bisexual/etc, yet some transpeople may have first come out as gay before coming out as trans, etc.

And also, maybe go over some trans history? Like talk a bit about some of the early pioneers, the writers, the advocates, people like Chaz Bono and Laura Cox. So then you emphasize that trans people have always been around, many talented and influential people were trans, and you talk about the pioneers in the community.

Etiquette. Definitely the best point. You know, I'd say just go over how important using the right pronouns are, being respectful, what kinds of questions you probably shouldn't ask any transperson off the street (like "What's in your pants?" "How do you pee?" "What's your REAL name?"). That kind of thing. And then, this ties into a lot of misconceptions you can clear up, like- no, we don't consider our "REAL" name to be our "birth name", no we're not drag kings/queens we're just here to get a latte, no, not everyone who's trans identifies as male or female, etc.

Hope that helped, man.

4. earthlvr510

I think it would be worth it to hit on the misconception of gender identity being linked to sexual orientation. Most people don't get the fact that there are gay trans men and visa versa. Also, when interacting with trans* people! ask pronouns and try to remember!

5. suninthesky

Thanks! All great ideas. I had thought to show that sexual orientation and gender identity are similar, but I should definitely hit on the point of LGB transpeeps.

Keep 'em coming, these are great!

6. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they are similar nd u should talk more ppl nd read more but i love ur idea nd dude u look like jack frost in rise of the guardian lol

7. Tetra

The first thing that popped into my head were videos. Basically, most people who I've talked to about trans* individuals think that they'd KNOW if they saw someone. That they'd "stand out in a crowd", and would look different, or act different than everyone else. I'd first want to break the stereotype by showing a video of "Kypharrop" or "Benton" (some good-quality FtM vloggers). They are just your average looking guys, and are both very intelligent. I think this would be a great ice breaker into showing that transgender people are just like everyone else.

Next, like Earthlvr510 has said, I'd touch on the whole "gender/sexual orientation/sexuality" misconception. Teach them that gender does NOT equal sexual orientation, and neither of those things equal sexuality. Show that being a transwoman does NOT mean you're just a veeery feminine male, and being a transman does NOT mean you're a veeeery masculine female. Show that a person is born with the wrong body, and makes steps forward to change their life for the better.

I'd probably end with quotes that I'd find off the internet (by google, or maybe start a thread here to collect some from trans* individuals?). These quotes can be about how their lives have changed since transition, and how they feel about their "new" life. The hardships, but also the rewards.

Hope that helps a little!

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This simple fact is often overlooked (everyone else covered the rest).

People are just trying to be happy. Transgenderism is the path to happiness for some of us.