1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about transitioning as a genderqueer person

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by animequeen567, Jan 17, 2014.

1. animequeen567

Okay so the thing is, I want to be completely genderless if at all possible. I know that I'm agender and want to look genderless. I just don't know much about transitioning. I'm poor so I know it won't be happening any time soon. I know that I want to get rid of my chest, but I'm also content with just binding if I can find a good binder that actually makes me pass well. Binding is cheaper than the surgery, but I am curious about any health risks of it. Then I'm not sure about anything else. I just don't know what I should do.

2. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I understand what you mean at the moment in trying to figure out if I'm ftm or just somewhere in between, binding can be bad for health if you bind too tight and for Long periods of time (I noticed breathing problems and back pain when I did this) if you have a small chest a one size too small sports bra binds well, as for surgery I'm not sure, in my country you can get surgery after being on hormones for a few years but I'm not sure if I want hormones because I only want a few of the changes that come with it, I don't know how things work were you are but you should see what's available to you and start saving any spare cash in case you do want surgery and have to pay for it yourself

3. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I'm in the reverse situation. Well, that and I'm not agender but non medical MtF, as i do definitely identify as very strongly femme.

Any hoo ... gender is in your head. If you wanted a more androgynous appearance, neither male or female, then you'd have to see a therapist and get recommendation for hrt. Then you'd have to see a therapist again and get recommendation for the "top surgery" or mastectomy.

I'm non medical like i said. But, again, gender is between tour ears. Sex is between your legs (or more accurately, your body in general). Any FtM persons feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Fellow genderqueer/androgyne, non-binary person here. It's definitely difficult trying to navigate transition as a GQ/agender person, because we're hardly recognised in society. People (doctors, therapists included) don't like ambiguity, and so it's hard for us to specify exactly what we need, and having those requests filled. As mentioned, it takes getting a referral from a therapist in order to have top surgery, which I believe is standard protocol in the U.S. I don't know if one needs to be on hrt prior to surgery, but I think I've heard a couple of cases where it wasn't necessary.

As for identifying as agender, I can understand the frustration 'cause there's no physical manifestation that indicates you don't have a gender and will make people stop trying to gender you, but it really is a means of feeling comfortable with your body/gender and really saying "fuck it" about everything else.

I'd suggest taking everything slowly, and for the time being, you could bind (and there are decent, affordable binders out there you can find such as on ebay and there's also alternatives with sports bras and compression shirts) and try dressing more androgynously in attempts to feel more comfortable. It's a means of going at your own pace, and figuring what feels right for you.

5. Hexagon

Like Oddish, I'm a male leaning genderqueer trans person who's transitioned. I've also had top surgery. However, I am content with being recognised as male, and while my gender expression isn't typical, no one ever thinks I'm anything other than male. During my transition, I never revealed my genderqueerness to the gate keepers, and if I had, I suspect I would have been denied treatment.

Begin by binding, but be aware that in most people's experience, you can't bind forever. About two years after I started, when I got surgery, the pain from binding (back pain, and breathing restrictions) was so bad I barely left my room. Also, if you experience dysphoria, you probably won't be comfortable with you body unless you have surgery.

I don't know the precise details of how things work in the US, but there is likely to be some kind of gate keeping, and I suspect you'd be at risk of being denied surgery if you approached them as agender. You see, it isn't about what the patient wants. You can't (or at least I couldn't) walk up to them and ask for surgery, wielding way too much money. No, its about whether you're 'good enough' and 'trans enough', and all the ways a cisgender person can control and define your gender (and happiness, incidentally).

The good news is that you can have surgery without needing testosterone. They like you to, but it isn't a medical requirement, so if you come up with a reason why you don't want it, then they'll respect it. I'm assuming you wouldn't want hormones, since they'd have a masculinising effect that you probably wouldn't want.

I agree with Oddish about taking things slow. Make sure you're happy with whatever you do.