1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After mtf hormones and surgery can you pass as a woman?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gerald1234, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Gerald1234

Hi I was just wondering can you ever truly pass as a female even after hormones and surgery?

2. Techno Kid

Well there are a lot videos on YouTube with mtf woman and many of them seem very happy! :slight_smile:

3. suninthesky

Yeah, it's definitely possible. I know transgirls that aren't on HRT and completely pass!

A lot has to do with genetics and body type, but it's important to remember that women come in all shapes and sizes, and transwomen do too.

If you search You Tube, you can find a lot of mtf people that have been really successful with their medical transition.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Plenty of girls do every single day! Like the guys above said, look on youtube and you'll find many MANY people who you wouldn't question for a second.

5. Just Jess

Short answer yes :slight_smile: But if you are thinking about transitioning yourself, please keep reading.

"Passing" turns into this whole complicated thing once you are on the other side of the fence. There's a few problems. Honestly, a lot of cis women don't "pass as women" in some situations, and get a lot of the same flack us trans girls get.

The problem is the people that used to know you, will have a harder time seeing the real you after transition, than a perfect stranger. It is hard to shake your image of a person in your head once it is there.

Another problem, is that even if you pass as in "if someone spots me in a crowd they will see a woman", there are other situations where that kind of passing does not work. Like a job interview, in close and face-to-face. A lot of us, especially if we are going after professional jobs, are judged on our appearance, trans or cis. This right now is my goal, by the end of the year I want to be able to look professional.

Looking professional gives me a definition of passing that lets me own some of the result of my male puberty, like my height, while also allowing me to express my femininity and softer characteristics. I can be one of those "don't mistake my kindness for weakness, but I am very nice" types, and I find that when I go after respect with that kind of personality, it comes from a more real place.

HRT will bring me much closer to that goal, but it is not everything. I am continuing to try to keep myself in shape - partly because I enjoy exercise anyway, but I am realistic about what my limitations are, and I really want to stress that you should not try to look like a runway model and do not have to to be happy or attractive, I find a lot of curvy women very attractive - and I am working very hard on my voice. The hardest part for me is figuring out clothes. I like to think the one thing I have going for me is my natural personality and mannerisms.

So what I'm saying is, we all get different definitions of passing depending on what we need. HRT helps a lot, but it's usually not enough by itself. And don't just "pass" because you feel like you have to to be a woman. Being a woman makes you a woman. If you want to "pass", come up with a reason that benefits you.

It really is okay if "living a normal life" is one of those reasons, I know we get pressure to not think that way some times, but the whole point to all this is to be you, to be authentic, to stop lying and pretending to be something you aren't. Showing the person inside to the world around you, and not wanting them to see something else, is an okay thing to want to do if you are being healthy about it.

6. DragonQueen

I agree with what SunInTheSky said! I'm not on HRT and I'm already very feminine and several people have thought I was a cis girl after seeing some of my selfies. It all comes down to genetics, but honestly, hormones will help with it big time as well.

I also agree with what Cassie29 said, everyone has differnet circumstances and sometimes even cis girls don't "pass" as often as people think! So don't necessarily worry about trying to look like a "real girl that no one will question" and try to focus more on "do what makes me happy and reflects how I feel that i am inside".

7. I completely agree with the above posters however I do know someone personally who successfully transitioned from mtf.

Our close family friend moved away from town over 10 years ago and we haven't heard from him until just a few years ago. My dad had known him for over 40 years and he was really close to my family as I was growing up. He had a family, a wife and a son. After his divorce he said he needed some time for himself and that's when he decided to move. This was around in 1999-2001

FF to 2010-2011, we heard from him again saying he wanted to come visit us. We didn't know what was going on at the time. Anyway, he arrives at our front door dressed as a woman. Beautiful dress, high heels, beautiful long hair and all. We didn't know what to say but we gave her a big hug and welcomed her in.

She told us her story stating that she always knew thaf she was a female trapped in a male body. We listened to her story and I just kept telling myself how brave she was. Anyway, long story short we accepted her in our lives and we had a fun time. We took her out to a restaurant and no one seemed to recognize her from when she was a man. She was still taking hormones at the time and wasn't fully transitioned yet.

Since 2013, she is now a real woman. She has had her operation and she's feeling great about herself. There were times when she took it rough but I always kept in touch with her to cheer her on. Today, I hapilly call her my aunt instead of uncle, she's still the same loving, caring person she always was.

Of course I shortened the story as I could wright pages on her amazing story. Ppl call her miss now, she's being treated as a woman as she's one now. Sorry for the wall of text but I thought I'd share her brave story. Also, sorry for some spelling mistakes and typos, I wrote this from my cell phone.

#7 lannister_dragon, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  8. Just Jess

Thanks for sharing that great story Justin :slight_smile:

In my opinion, your Aunt was always a real woman. It just took some help for the rest of the world to see her for who she really is.

9. Cassie, I fully agree. She's one of the bravest women I know. :slight_smile:

10. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, this is possible.
    I pass as female 99% of the time, as do most cis women. My GP also commented that my surgical results downstairs are excellent and he wouldn't know the difference.

Obviously I don't menstruate and can't fall pregnant, but otherwise, yes, I pass as female.