1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling gross and manly!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Jan 22, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've been mulling over a thought recently and I think I'm getting towards the bottom of it now.

I identify as pansexual, my preference is probably guys -> trans girls -> girls (at least I think it is, I'm really not sure)

You will notice I've separated trans girls from 'girls, and omitted trans guys entirely, and I will quickly explain why. With other trans girls I have that bit of shared experience which puts us just above cis-girls in terms of who I would want to date, where as trans guys are bundled together with cis-guys (I didn't forget you I promise!).

Anyway, I got to thinking about cis-girls and attraction. Now my best friend said, at one stage when I was looking at girls profiles on a dating site, something to the effect of "You're not just looking at those because it's familiar are you? You're not trying to force yourself back to girls?"

Now I know that I wasn't. I find some girls attractive, that isn't what is bothering me. What IS bothering me is that when I find a girl attractive and I think 'what would it be like to ask her out' suddenly I feel male.

It. Feels. HORRIBLE. ICK!

It's such a strange sensation. I can only assume it's because I am used to being 'straight'...so now whenever I think of what it would be like to enter a lesbian relationship it feels like I would be compelled to be 'the guy' even though I can't think of anything worse! It's also something I don't get at all if I think about dating a trans girl.

Anyway that's my strange thought for the day. Hopefully I'm not the only one who has experienced it!

2. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Hey dont think it's strange! I toootally feel the same way when it comes to asking people out, and it's just...oh my lord...frustrating!

Just don't think about it as a manly attribute, being the "leader" (wat a lot of people see as a manly thing) in a relationship is just a preference, not necessarilly related to gender identity. In all the relationships i've been in i've been the one being led, to use an example of urs, i've been the one asked out by the girl!

Now to my point...girls ask guys out all the time, its not a gender specific trait, dont feel disgusted about it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Now to "being the guy" in the relationship...wat do u mean?

#2 ArcticPixie, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Summer Rose

Depending on perspective, there's nothing wrong with be (or being closer to being) "TEH guy" in the relationship. The main thing is, what do you view TEH guy as being? I don't mind if I'm being relied on more for support (moral, somewhat money-wise), as I kind of like being relied on...which tends to be a major part of (or a least, society thinks it is) being TEH guy.

The thing is though, you need to separate what it means to be a more productive member in a relationship, and being male. When you think of asking a girl out, do you feel like you're male because your confrontational, or that's what men do?

Honestly, while I continue to slowly trudge toward an eventual solution towards my gender being accepted (by others mind you), I've never perceived "being more productive in a relationship, confrontational in a necessary way, being direct, or etc." as being male, so much as who I am, and who I am is a woman, plain and simple.

4. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Respectfully; you have no idea what the experiences of another trans woman are, so don't assume this. Otherwise you start buying into the 'shared girlhood' nonsense that cis women are supposed to have, which invalidates trans women.

But back onto the main topic...
    Are you looking at the profiles of straight girls or lesbians? Because looking at straight girls' profiles is a sure fire way of making yourself feel 'manly'.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @ArcticPixie When I say 'they guy' I guess I just mean...well actually I suppose my brain is just playing off stereotypes, like if one of us has to be the more dominant one it would OBVIOUSLY fall to me for no reason other than at one point I was considered a guy. I guess it takes some getting used to the idea that people might be good about it :slight_smile:

@MrRedFox I guess I do sort of feel like if I asked someone out it seems more like something a guy would do...I guess because that's basically what I've been told since forever? Probably not helped by the fact that I don't have any confidence in the idea that someone would ask ME out, which bugs me...

@Echoing

"Respectfully; you have no idea what the experiences of another trans woman are, so don't assume this. " - Interesting point.

"Otherwise you start buying into the 'shared girlhood' nonsense that cis women are supposed to have," I haven't the faintest idea what that is, could you explain please :slight_smile:

If I've ever looked at a profile its been bi girls, not a hell of a lot of point looking at straight girls! But since I rarely look at dating profiles, it comes up more often when I see people on TV or in the street for example, where you don't know one way or the other what their orientation is...my brain just sort of goes that way, you know? I can look at a random girl I find attractive and just feel like there would be some expectation for me to be...somehow less girly? I don't know, I didn't ought to think that way as it really doesn't say much for my opinion of people if I can't even allow them the opportunity to treat me like a girl before I decide they won't do it...I guess I take after my mum more than I thought xD

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Holly I know I don't have the best advice for this but you'll always be a girl to me :icon_bigg

7. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My levels of attraction to women are very low. I used to think it was about 80% attracted to men, 20% attracted to women, but I think it's probably lower, since I don't get at all turned on or interested in the idea of being with any woman.
    I do appreciate when a woman is attractive though!

Anyway, even if I was attracted to women, I think dating a cis woman or thinking about being with a cis woman would be an issue for me, because I would always feel envious of her for being cis. That would in turn trigger my dysphoria and probably make me feel 'masculine'.
    So perhaps that's part of what is going on?
    Maybe it's completely different for you.

The 'shared girlhood' thing is one of those ideas pushed around by TERFs (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists). It suggests that 'Women born Women' (cis women) grow up with a shared set of experiences, unique to 'Women born Women'.
    This is then used as an excuse to exclude trans women for not having these 'shared girlhood' experiences.

Fact of the matter is, every 'girlhood' is different. The experiences of a Samoan woman raised in an impoversished catholic extended family will be vastly different to those of a white upper-class woman raised by absent parents and a nanny.
    So the idea of a 'shared girlhood' is just a device to try to exclude trans women under the pretense of being protective of 'real' women and being 'kind' to trans women - that the trannies couldn't possibly fit in because they were raised as boys.

In my actual experience though, it's pushed by TERF lesbians who are terrified of sleeping with a trans woman by accident and losing their 'gold star' status due to sleeping with a 'man'.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Anyway, even if I was attracted to women, I think dating a cis woman or thinking about being with a cis woman would be an issue for me, because I would always feel envious of her for being cis. That would in turn trigger my dysphoria and probably make me feel 'masculine'."

That certainly sounds like a considerable chunk of it. Which is annoying because I know on a logical level it shouldn't, and I understand fully why it shouldn't bother me, but in reality it bothers me on an emotional level I have no control over. Damn feelings, always gettin' in the way :slight_smile:

Ah, I see what you mean, but that isn't quite what I meant, I'm don't mean that I think everyone has the same trans experience, I just mean that so far in my experience that trans people I have met have been able to understand what I'm going through better than anybody else, even if they haven't experienced anything even close to what the problem is...perhaps it's due to the similar source of the problem I don't know. Not that I go around intentionally trying to single out trans girls...heck I even made a thread about that not too long ago 'cause I felt really really bad about it!

9. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Personally I think that dating a trans woman could be as bad or worse than dating a cis woman, as there would be a constant 'triggering' of dysphoria from being around each other and being reminded you're trans. Dating trans men is a different story though, for some reason. No idea why!

10. anonym

anonym Guest

Hi Holly I don't think this is strange because I feel similarly about guys. If I am attracted to a guy, because I am naturally smaller it makes me feel less masculine/dominant whatever you call it. But if I am attracted to a woman I feel more masculine etc. I think it's normal and it's just an effect of the male/female masculine/feminine dynamic that society leads us to believe is how things must be. Maybe if you were in a relationship with a more dominant personality than you, would that make any difference and make you feel less 'manly'?

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Personally I think that dating a trans woman could be as bad or worse than dating a cis woman, as there would be a constant 'triggering' of dysphoria from being around each other and being reminded you're trans. Dating trans men is a different story though, for some reason. No idea why!"

Yeah, that's certainly true...hadn't thought of that. I guess it really depends how comfortable the other person is. Well, this has given me lots to think about, thanks :slight_smile:

@anonym You are probably right. Dominant personalities would probably suit me much better, even if I don't HAVE to go by societies male/female dynamic and the stereotypes included within, I still feel like I fit them pretty well anyway! Guess I'll just have to find someone like that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Daydream Harp

Don't have a lot of advice to give I am afraid, but I will say I know the feeling and I hope you find a way to stop feeling weird about it sometime soon (*hug*)

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I get moments like that when I'm feeling like going for men. See, my orientation's never consistent. One week, I only notice the girls. The next I might think I'm gay.

But it's like, this is why I never dated men. With girls, I feel "straight", as stupid as that sounds. Even when I identified as lesbian and I was (cast myself as) the femme, submissive partner, I wasn't some guy's girlfriend. And it's really stupid to think that being in any relationship means I have to be the big or little spoon but alas...

I have these moments where I feel all small and wrong Hate them. Nothing I hate worse than being "miss'd", having doors held open, and having people check out my curves.

I like being powerful, in tune. Moments feel too far at times, though.

But it's funny, how something as small as what you're wearing or who you checked out at the grocery store can have such a big impact on how your day goes.

Best of luck, Holly.

14. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a really interesting point. It's tough to undo what is "standard" for straight males growing up! :/

15. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Ellia, i TOTALLY understand what you mean. That's kinda what it feels like with my wife. Obviously she's cisfemale, and I'm Trans, out genderqueer, or whatever I am, but not internally male anyway, yet I've spent at least 26-28 years of conscious life trying to be stereotypical "male." So, with my wife of 8 years, I do feel that learned position of being "the guy." It's like Kasey's signature says "you must unlearn all you have learned."

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha, I wasn't even the thread but I was quoted.

But seriously, Yoda was a wise muppet, and his words although out of a work of fiction speaks truth. You have been so ingrained with heteronormative ideas that even someone who as come as far as you have, Holly, needs to let go.

It's like fighting instinct still.

17. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right, it's not something I should be necessarily working myself up about. If nothing else I should give other people the chance to treat me like a lady before I decide that they won't!

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good, I used to worry about the worst but I never saw the worst come to pass. You need to give yourself credit.

19. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Ya know, I think I'm kinda in that boat ... I'm wondering if my wife and I getting on better isn't putting me on a slide into masculinity that I'm not exactly fond of. She is still referring tome as her "husband" with no attempts at "partner" or "wife"and it's got me feeling like she's still trying to "straighten" me out.don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're talking, but eeewwww! I don't like the re-masculinization of my role. The kids know me as "Daddy" but there's no trying to get the pronoun usage right. What's a girl to do? Maybe my telling her that hrt isn't necessarily in (but not altogether out) gave her false hopes? All I know is I don't like where I'm going right now. Any suggestions on how to gently remind her?

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm honest (and I realise it is WAY easier for me to say it sitting here knowing that I'm completely removed from the situation) but I think I would rather make sure she's decided not to go lawyer-crazy on you like she was planning on before I started reminding her of this and that...

Do what feels natural to you, when it feels natural to you and see how she reacts. Perhaps just ask her when next time she says husband if she would mind 'partner' next time (but you know, not in front of everyone else)...it's not giving you a hell of a lot of respect right now, but then I am still worried that she's going to screw you with a bunch of suits, and I really don't want that...