1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences with androgynous looks

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by darklord, Jan 23, 2014.

1. darklord

Warning, this is a very positive post. :slight_smile:

I have been looking for a style I feel comfortable in, and would like to discuss my experiences with you...
    I have been wearing quite simple male clothes (I am bio female). I have long hair which I styled in a more masculine way. Applied some make-up to make my eyebrows manly (that had a huge impact on my face... and the way I feel about it).

I honestly feel really satisfied with the way I ended up looking. It seems like my body is androgynous in itself, like I'm made to be like this. Very androgynous proportions. I realize I am very fortunate to have a body like this instead of something more ”wrong” for my identity (I can only imagine I'd have far more dysphoria with big breasts for example). In the past I used to think my face was somehow gross for a girl (also because I was teased about my features). Too strong features for a girl. But with androgynous style it all looks and feels natural.

Somehow I feel very natural with the way I have been looking lately. I feel genderless/unambiguous and I love it. I see myself in the mirror. Not a man, not a woman. Just some hints of both.

I used to have much more dysphoria before. I had it very little during the past half a month and then imagination helped. Overall I use my imagination a lot... I find it helpful when physical circumstances don't feel "right".

Hope this story helped someone somehow and I'd like to hear your thoughts, similar/different experiences etc!

(&&&)

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always nice to hear somethings going right for someone for a change! I'm so pleased for you!

3. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is my brain like your twitter feed or something? Because a good 95% of all of this is pretty much my story. I've been asked why I'm trans* or why I'm not a boy or girl, and I usually say "Because I'm not one, mentally. It's kind of like both without being neither" but part of this is because, like you, I've noticed my body's naturally androgynous. I'm short. My shoulders aren't entirely that broad. My hip proportions are ambiguous as fuck. It takes a while longer for my body hair to grow back. My face is still quite round in structure. And I'm 20 years old. To me, it seems like I'm staying this way. Not to mention several other things like my body naturally acts more like most females in multiple ways, and that I've been called "cute" to this day (possibly because I've always looked younger than I actually am), and I don't think it's going to stop for awhile.

4. darklord

Ryuichi, nice to meet you :slight_smile: your story indeed sounds very similar to mine. And I have to agree with whoever-it-is, you look really cute and beautiful.

It would be fun to share pictures here but I am quite hesitant to put my pics on this site because I write some quite personal stuff here and then I'm worried someone I know in real life would recognize me.

I like the way you put it: kind of like both without being neither. That's exactly the way I feel.

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly don't think it would be a case of someone finding you just because you write personal things. If you keep location and people ambiguous, you should be fine. And thanks ^^

6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is wonderful, I'm glad you're happy. :slight_smile:

7. Seagypsy

You all sound so gorgeous, I too believe Androgyne to be a separate gender of its own and it's u girls and guys that I'm always attracted to.... Photos please!? X

8. darklord

Just cheating you, Seagypsy! :grin:
    Well, Ryuichi obviously isn't though. He has some proof. :wink:
    I am also crazy about androgynes, funnily enough.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I can relate pretty much. I'm fortunate that I was born with very androgynous features, and don't have to put in all too much effort to come across as gender non-conforming. It just feels natural to me.

If I make someone question my gender, or take a double look, I've done my job. It's helped a lot with reinforcing more of a positive perception of myself, and it's helped alleviate dysphoria. I remember one time, I had a guy come into my work and say to me, "Hola señor…ita." It was so awkward it took everything in me not to laugh, but it made me pretty damn happy. Confusing people with my boyish charm never ceases to entertain me. :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad to hear how happy you are.

10. darklord

Oddish, I must say you look really masculine. I would have confused you for a guy. :grin:
    I don't look quite that boyish, then again that is probably because I keep my hair long etc, so my style is still more feminine than yours.
    Even then, I have been confused for a guy even in the past when I wasn't intentionally putting effort to coming across as either gender (just didn't pay attention to gender-aspects of my clothing)... I had long hair and some basic shirts & pants. :grin: I also really like it when people gets confused about my gender.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Thanks. :slight_smile: I'm only 5'2 and slim, so most people either assume I'm a young guy, or I'm just a masculine female. Back when my hair was purple/pink, I didn't pass for male very often, but I found it more amusing than insulting. I just take it as a compliment when people become confused about my gender and think twice before using pronouns or gendered terms.

You're lucky in that regard, then. I likely wouldn't be able to pass for male at all if my hair were any longer. As you say, it seems like your body was made to 'match' your gender and that's awesome.

12. darklord

I've got to add that 'I'm not aware of confusing anyone lately though. But it is actually hard for me to know, because there are no he/ she him / her in my language which is great for trans people since wrong pronouns seem to cause a lot of dysphoria. But harder to find out what people actually thinks about you.