1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at my (non-college) workplace?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BradThePug, Jan 23, 2014.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I am not at school, I work at a department store. The last time that I worked there was before I came back for second semester. Now that I am back at school, I will not work there again until spring break (or maybe a weekend, we'll see).

Well, one of my fellow employees found my facebook profile, and then told the entire store that I go by Brad on facebook. I just found this out, since it happened after I returned to school. One of my coworkers messaged me and told me about the rumors going around (Which I thanked him for messaging me).

My father works in the same store (and he knows that I am trans* and is ok with it). I asked him to get my HR person's email so that I could email her about the situation. I got her email address today. The thing is, I really don't know what to write in this email. I know that I have to own up about being trans* (which is something that I've needed to do for a while there) but the question is how? Also, my birthname is Ashley, so I'm thinking that I could go by Ash or Ashton (since Ashton is going to be my middle name). This would help with people actually knowing my name (these people have known me for 8 years. My dad has worked there forever.)

Whenever I start writing the email, I end up stuck.. so I was wondering if anybody had some good advice on how to write a coming out letter to a workplace.

2. Beantown

Beantown Guest

If I had to write an email about that I'd write something equivalent to slut shaming that person but that's just me. Write whatever makes you feel comfortable.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure who the person is that started spreading things. That's the larger part of the issue.. If I did know for sure, I would include their name, just so they could receive some training about the issues that LGBT people face..

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To HR Person,

The contents of this letter is to remain confidential, unless permission is otherwise granted.

One of my colleagues has informed me of a rumour that has been circulating among the staff which I wish to address. *Give details of rumour as you heard them*.

I wish to make it clear to you that it is true, I am trans* and I do go by 'Brad' on facebook, however, the accuracy of the claim is not my primary concern at this point. I am unsure, currently, which employee discovered this fact and subsequently chose to spread it among the staff, however I request that somehow it is discovered and, if nothing else, some form of LGBT inclusion training can be offered to this person, if not the whole staff. It is highly inappropriate for anybody to release such personal information as this without my consent, and while I do not wish to see any form of disciplinary action taken, I would welcome and strongly encourage you to make it clear to any and all involved in this the potentially damaging nature of sharing rumours such as this.

(Obviously only include this if you want to) I see no reason at this point why I should not take advantage of this opportunity and begin to continue my working life as Brad. I would appreciate your assistance in making sure I am able to continue to work and to be treated in the same manner I have always been treated. (Actually that paragraph is SHITE but you get the point).

Thank you.

That sound like something you could use?

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people

That sounds brilliant, use that!

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is amazing! I'll make so,e edits on this and then I can send it. This gives me a good template and starting point! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you know, I CAN write a decent letter xD Glad it was useful :slight_smile:

8. A Real Male

My biggest concern for you here is whether you are protected in the state of Ohio. (I'm not sure if they have anti-gender discrimination laws, but I somehow doubt that they do).

While Ellia's letter was brilliantly written, I'd practice caution as well. Keep your e-mails as records, just in case worse comes to worse.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, Ohio does not have protections. I'm lucky enough to work for a company that has a gender discrimination clause though, so that helps thing a lot. I always do keep my emails as records, and since this will be going from my university email, that will make it easy to save. Even though I am in a more conservative area, people that work at the same store as me are pretty cool about things. (One even asked if the new manager we were getting is transgender.. I think that they were trying to convince me to come out that night..)

There's just always that one person that thinks that everybody's business is their own..

I just sent the email, so we'll see what happens now.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Urgh.. so naturally, I emailed her on her weekend off.. so the wait for a response continues until Monday... (I guess I've never been good with the timing bit, after all.)

So, now I have to find ways to distract myself..

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though it didn't go at all as planned, things have turned out well. My HR person is having the name on my employment records changed. She is also ordering me a new name badge!

I apparently had the wrong email address.. so my dad asked if she had seen my email. When she said that she had not, he (not thinking) asked if she had seen any emails with the name Brad recently. She quickly picked up on what was going on. It turns out she has a good friend that is a transman as well.

So, in the end, everything finally worked out :slight_smile:

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone