1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need the MtF transition process explained to me in a very simple way.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NotSky, Jan 25, 2014.

1. NotSky

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm a trans girl and am on the verge of getting a gender therapist and beginning the whole transition process. I have a general understanding of how everything should go, but I just want to make sure I really am. If there's any hiccups along the road that I should know about along with the whole general process, it would be fantastic if you could let me know :slight_smile:

I live in the United States, Arizona more specifically, but even if you live elsewhere I'd still like to know how I should expect things to go.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Slowly. I would expect it to go slowly. I don't know how it is where you are, but I know where I am the process seems to be:
    Prove to this guy I'm not crazy.
    Wait.
    Prove to this other guy I'm not crazy.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Prove to a bunch of guys I'm not crazy.
    Wait for funding.
    Wait for confirmation.
    Wait for appointment.
    Prove to a bunch MORE guys I'm not crazy.
    Wait.
    Hormones if I'm lucky.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Keep proving I'm not crazy.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    Some form of surgery if I want it.

I know you said you're on the verge of getting a gender therapist, but what exactly does that mean? How far in to your transition are you? (I'm talking social, not medical)

3. NotSky

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, as of right now me and my parents (who are fairly supportive) are looking for a gender therapist close by. There are a few in my city and we're just trying to decide who's the best choice for me. As far as my transition, I'm in kind of a weird preparation stage. I am not out to everybody I know, but I would say a majority of the people I know are aware of my trans status.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I take it from that then you're not currently living full time as female?

Again, I have no idea how it works where you are but I know here it's a requirement before they will let you do basically anything.

5. Just Jess

It's a more complicated question than it seems.

The stuff you are probably after is the structure as far as medical help goes. And it sounds like you want a therapist's help before you go to a doctor, rather than all at once, and that makes it a little simpler. So this link,

Therapists

Should help you find someone.

Past that I think it would be better if I just gave you this site,

http://tsroadmap.com

rather than chewing your ear off. But if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them :slight_smile:

6. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is not as complicated here in the US: you just need to find a TG friendly therapist who will listen to you. It is all a matter of finding the right person, not one who will convince you to wait, that maybe you are just gay, that maybe it is just a phase, etc.

There is no requirement to be living full time as a female for a certain period of time before you can get hormones, like there is in the UK. If your parents are with you, then you will soon start taking hormones and you will live as a very happy young woman before you know it.

How long have you known, if I may ask?

7. NotSky

Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh, I hate to say but I think I knew for a long time but only learned exactly what being transgender was about two years ago. I was really unhappy with my body and being male and filling male roles in general. So I've been absolutely positive that I'm trans for about a year but I'm only doing things now.

8. Just Jess

HardToSay is right about not needing a therapist in the U.S. You'll want to look for an "informed consent" clinic. I think there's one in Phoenix and one in Chandler. In a nutshell, that's where a regular doctor does everything a therapist would have.

Pros and cons,

A therapist is going to send you to a regular doctor anyway, so if you don't need to go to a therapist for help figuring this stuff out, it could save you money.

Informed consent is "official". There's a set of rules called the "WPATH Standards of Care" - basically if you ever read any rules about what trans people have to do, this is where those rules originally came from - and informed consent clinics are okay with the most recent edition of those rules.

The big advantage that a letter gives you, is that you get more doctors. My letter means I can go to any general practitioner (GP, basically a regular doctor) and work with them. A lot of doctors still want you to have a letter before they will prescribe you hormones, so I'm not limited to the "one stop shop" places.

However, further down the road, if you are going after transsexual surgeries, most sex affirmation surgeries (SAS, SRS, GAS, GRS, and "bottom surgery" all mean the same thing) are going to require a letter of recommendation from a therapist.

I just wasn't sure how much you wanted to know about the whole process, or if you were just looking for a place to start? If you want I can try to sum up everything start to finish. The reason why I said it is complicated, is because there are a lot of choices you have to make as to what exactly your transition is.

Just some leading questions,

How do you feel about getting rid of everything "down there" ?

What kind of health insurance do you have?

Some things you can do to transition are free, some cost a little money, some cost a little time, and some cost a lot of both. What kind of resources are you working with?

What kind of support do you have from other people?

Are you aware of the risks that come with hormones, or would you like me to sum them up? If I do it's not medical advice and I'm not a doctor, I am literally going to copy/paste info here for you. But informed consent clinics are going to want you to know some things going in.

Would you be happy if you could never be a boy on the outside again? Some people's transitions include one-way parts. You can always hide everything if you need to but some things are painful and uncomfortable if you hide them for a long time.

And finally, when you transition, everyone in your life transitions with you. If you need help, this site is for that, but do you think you could come out to everyone in your personal life that you want to stay with you through transition?

9. KiddlesP

I would recommend that you try to get these appointments and confirmations as quickly as possible, and find out if you are truly transgender. If you are then it is always preferable to go on hormones before/during puberty than after, since you will want as little masculinization taking place as possible. If you wait, the more difficult it may become to make the transition.

10. Hexagon

This seems pretty accurate :bang::bang::bang: I hate the way it works. :frowning2: