1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting my ears pierced.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NotSky, Jan 28, 2014.

1. NotSky

Out Status:
    Some people
    So for a while now I've wanted to get my ears pierced. I'm really worried about the process though. I remember when my sister got her ears pierced they were infected for a long time and they bled and she was just generally in pain. Of course, it all worked out in the end, but is it common for it to be that bad?

Also, do I have to wear the same earrings constantly for a few months to keep the hole's shape? If that's the case, then I'll need to hold off getting them pierced until I'm presenting as female full time.

2. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have my ears pierced but yeah I do believe that you need to keep at least like some studs in them for a while otherwise the cartilage will just fill itself in naturally.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    IIRC, the time is about 6 weeks, but you really should keep them in longer. You could always go with some earrings that are more gender neutral until you start presenting female full time.

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. I've got three lobe piercings in each ear, and I have yet to have any bad experiences with them. It's unfortunate that your sister had such a bad time with her earrings :frowning2: That said, it's not very common, no. Definitely keep them in for at least six weeks (last hole I got, I got curious and took it out after only four weeks, and made a bloody mess.) before changing earrings.

Ultratips to avoid bad experiences:

Go to a place you trust; a good number of infections come from unsanitized piercing equipment, or rooky jobs.

Clean your ears on the daily. For most of my holes, I cleaned them once in the morning, once at night, and they turned out best. Also, they're gonna get crusty. Don't worry, that's just ear hole goob. So swab the back and front area around the piercing with rubbing alcohol or antiseptic or what have you.

Twisting the posts is something first piercer told me to do twice a day, and I'm not really sure if it had any effect, but after googling it, others say it sped up healing process. So that's that.

Good luck :slight_smile:

5. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I have a rookie question about getting your ears pierced

Will going in the pool effect them? I'm going to get one of my ears pierced as soon as I get the money, but with my job I'm in the pool for 4hrs teaching once a week and I'm worried it's going to stuff up the piercing :/.

6. Evil Kitten

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think bad things with ear piercings are very uncommon, unless you don't take care of them properly. But I believe they have to be kept in all the time during the day, and take them out at night, for like 2 months.

8. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're a competitive swimmer, or plan on swimming a little faster, I wouldn't reccomended getting in the water right away. I had my earrings bodily ripped from my ears on day two because of it. We spent two hours trying to get new earrings back in my ears:/