1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paranoia

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nerkpoop78, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Nerkpoop78

Ok so I think I'm very paranoid. I have always been thinking about the consequences of a certain choice and am unable to progress as a result. Just like in the case of my coming out. I'm scared that if I reveal, I might strain the relationship between me and my family members and even friends as acquaintances. I'm also afraid of how they will view me as well as their reactions. I feel that this paranoia is somewhat impairing my efficiency of making a choice but it allows me to weigh out the pros and cons of certain choices. Is this worthy a cause of worry?

2. darklord

I think it is natural to worry. Even wise to think about consequences before acting. Once you have thought it out, you are prepared. There is no need to hurry when you don't feel ready. And it does sound like you are not ready.
    But try not to let it consume you, take up too much of your physical and mental energy.

Also, it is sad truth that your coming out may affect your relationships.
    You could try to find out what your friends and relatives think about gays or LGBT people in general, before you come out. If they express positive attitudes (like, would be okay about gays getting married, for example), I don't think you have to be so afraid.
    Also, you don't need to come out to all at once. If you have certain friend you know to be positive about LGBT, you could come out to them first...

3. Nerkpoop78

Well I haven't really tested waters on how my friends will react to LGBT people. I did try testing my sister and it wasn't very positive. She kinda suspected and was fearful so I had to resort but somehow covering it up. I'm very scared that people will suspect I'm gay if I ask them about their views on LGBT people. How did you guys go around asking to prevent minimal suspicion?

4. setnyx

paranoia causes inaction which leads to paralyse which can spead to all parts of your life. when and if it comes out you will be forced to re-act you have the power be pro-active.

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm very much the same way.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and act on impulse, before you even get a chance to doubt it.

6. darklord

I actually am a bad person to answer how to go asking... I have been quite straightforward myself since I just have that personality. l just kind of spill things out, even more so when I was a teenager...
    But... I think you could ask something like "what do you think about gay marriage?" in a situation where that would naturally fit. Like, when talking about marriage in general, or politics, or if there's something about it in tv...
    Just ideas... Not guaranteed not to cause suspicions.

7. Whatevergirl200

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Preach to the choir!! D: