1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MtF clothing advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ArcticPixie, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    So I'm a pre-everything MtF and I want to start dressing more feminine.

The only problem is I'm not out yet, so it's not like I can just start wearing completely female clothing, not to mention I would probably not pass if I did.

I guess my question is: What kind of clothing could I wear that would make someone have to turn their head to double check that im, biologically, a guy? Where did everyone else start?

#1 ArcticPixie, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I started with underwear since I could wear it under my regular clothes, and wearing a skirt at home when I was alone.

When I did finally find myself in a position to go out I just wore my normal clothes by switched trousers for a skirt and wore a wig.

To be honest, you will be more convincing in clothes you are comfortable with than the girliest stuff and a bunch of make-up to hide things.

Having said that, I don't pass and I don't particularly TRY to pass, so perhaps I'm not the best person to be taking advice from! Or maybe I am! It's a mystery!

3. dont know if you want my advice but, here is my 2c anyways haha.

i would start slow and figure out what you feel comfortable in first. like it sounds stupid but there isnt anything worse than thinking something looks good in a shop and on the model and you get it home and on and bam you hate the feel of it. story if my life.

idk i guess im just weird like that haha! i cant wear jeans at all, they feel too scratchy blergh. anything soft im fine with like tights, joggers and fleecy lined leggings/tights.

you could try with some makeup first rather than clothes, see what you like to wear. some makeup makes me itch, so certain mascaras i cant wear, and glittery eyeshadows itch a bit sometimes too! also you could try painting your nails. or go to a salon and get the fancy stuff all done.

i know its total diff scenario for a sec but i shaved my head last year and i looked so male! (it was for charity i wasnt going mad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    "would make someone have to turn their head to double check that im, biologically, a guy?" i dont really understand the question, but i guess if it was slightly flipped. when my head was bald i wore a lot more skirts and floaty tops/blazers, and steered clear of my joggers, thsirts and hoodies, because i knew some people would think i was a guy if i wore those and i wanted to avoid that. hope that helps a little.

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Hi Hi! I was in the same boat as you are in (well I kinda am still in it lol)
    I started in my bedroom as a tween, I started with w/e I could "borrow" from my mother. but as time went on, I gradually bought my own clothes.
    What I would suggest is going to a thrift shop, take a look around, and find things that say "Me", but yea you can definitely start with Panties, if you feel uncomfortable in them in public, then do it at home, and work up to it ^^
    Before i got "comfortable" and accepted who I am, I was into skirts & dresses. now I wear whatever I can pull off(granted I still do it in the privacy of my bedroom, because I doubt I could pass for a lady atm)
    but I like to look at other women, to see what they wear, and kinda make my own taste up, if I see something in say sears on sale that I like, I buy it lol

5. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    @Holly - Yeah im thinking of buying some panties soon (well, as soon as I get paid) and try them, atm im just working on tucking properly :S.

@flyinhernikes - I know that feeling oh so well. I think 1/3 of my closet is made up of clothes I thought looked nice in the shop, and as soon as I try them on at home i'm like "ewww what was I thinking!" haha.

I used to do music theatre so I know what make up works well on me, just need to work on my eye liner, i'm just terrible at putting it on. My mum has hinted that she'd be happy to go and get a manicure with me! I was actually super surprised since I haven't told her anything, and here she is asking to get her nails done with me!

Don't worry any advice is good advice! Since I have no idea! :S.

@Plenilune - I wish I could "borrow" clothing, but I can't simply because of sizing, i'm actually the smallest person in my family clothing size wise. So my only option is to buy clothes :/. Atm I wear band tees, skinny jeans/pants and converse, so i'm looking at modifying my wardrobe to express my femininity. I don't want to go skirts and dresses until I know I can pull it off :S.

Also I just got my mum to buy me a nail care kit and nail polish, as well as body wash, and not an eyebrow was raised. I don't know what to think of it xD haha.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wearing panties for years, and I think one of my friends has figured out that I occasionally wear a bra. I'm wanting to figure out how to appear more androgynous myself. I don't think my friends realize that my ski pants are womens, or that the ski jacket I've got is a womens jacket. (it's the thermal layer. They were with me when I got the moisture layer which is unisex)

7. hailey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I spent a week with an image consultant that helps out transgendered people.I learned from her how to shop for clothes although she is a genetic female.Listened to me and gave me advice which helped.I am still friends with her.

8. Claudette

Claudette Guest

oooh an image consultant... what a great idea!

9. Gingerblond93

Sounds like you have a good start with your mom buying you a nail care kit and polish. You can bein there with painting your nails, perhaps letting your hair grow out and perhaps wearing girls skinny jeans and leggings. You already wear skinny jeans just get some that are more feminine in color such as pink, light yellow, or teal and match them with a cute matching shirt. This way your slowly showing more of your feminine side, step by step. I would really begin with the feminine skinny jeans and get a couple pairs of leggings too.

10. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

Girls skinnies are a must, since I wear skinny jeans all the time when the weather permits. I.like the leggings idea to :grin:. Cute skirts! I wish I could pull off :'(. Atm it is summer (and will be for another 3 months) so summer attire is needed, and Aussie summers kill. I like the idea of wearing more pink, purple, teal etc. I wear a lot of pink already, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone if I bought more feminine coloured clothes.

Wearing a bra and panties I want to start doing, trick is hiding from the family -_-*.

#10 ArcticPixie, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  11. Claudette

Claudette Guest

start with panties, and a nice tuck ^^ you can still go #1 with the right tape method. and no one will know, unless your mother or father burst into that bathroom (or they do your laundry) lol

I really love tights, and try to work them in wherever I can... I really like to do ripped up jeans with a pair of lace tights underneath... idk makes me feel like people are looking at my legs more ^^

12. Monika the Diva

That's one thing I can recommend. Wash your own clothes. Sometimes the laundry alone will throw you under the bus. When it comes to shopping I have figured out for instance I love in Ny. When I wear mens clothing I wear a size 38. When I wear women's clothing and I go out on an adventure as Monika I wear between a sizr 16-18. 18 fits a little looser than 16.

13. Gingerblond93

You may want to buy some girls shorts during the summer months, some cute girls jean shorts would be very nice nice and begin painting your nails. And yes more feminine colored clothing will help a lot, before you know it, most people will think nothing of if when your ready to begin wearing skirts.

14. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I have my own en-suite so having my family bursting in on me is very unlikely. Clothing wise it should be easy, there's a day i'm the only person at home 'till late so that'll most likely become my laundry day xD haha.

I'm all into that punk style! Ripped jeans are my favourite thing ever! I'll look into the girls shorts, some of them are rediculously short (the things that are in style atm!), i've already started painting my nails, so now to get some more colours!

I'm size 34, edging on 32, what does that make me size wise?

#14 ArcticPixie, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  15. Claudette

Claudette Guest

My waist is 32ish.. I fit into size 7/8.. If they have abit of stretch to them,9/10 if not size 10 skirts
    Just be careful with forever 21 sizes.. I've found they run real small... Got a large dress from them that fit me like... Well trying to squeeze a tank into a residential garage lol needless to say.. I'm exchanging it today! My fault for going dress shopping dressed as a guy

#15 Claudette, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  16. Gingerblond93

Yeah your right on the girls shorts, some are way too short...I think the punk style ripped jeans are pretty sexy.... And get some bright colors to paint your nails too, do you paint your toe nails too?

17. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I've recently discovered a nice combo... I love it! OTK socks, some thigh length tight shorts, and a nice pair of nude nylons showing between them... makes me feel so good in public

18. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I've started painting my toe nails, however I feel it's gonna take a bit of tlc 'till they look any good :'(.

I'll try that Pleni! Just being pre-HRT makes me so self conscious! But then wearing even feminine male clothes just annoys me!

19. Eevar

I'm currently putting together a dress, tights, boots and belt outfit, that looks quite similar to what Link wears (Zelda). That way, I'll be able to wear it in public without having to worry about passing as a woman, as I'll be able to pass it off as cosplay if I need to. It may not be the best idea, but I am quite a gamer so may work quite well for me at least, and it will be my first adventure out in public in (visible) womens clothing. If I remember I'll post an update in here on how it goes if anyones interested.

Other than that I'm very much in the same boat. I used to have more womens clothes than I do now (unfortunate circumstances), and although I will be buying some before HRT, I will be saving quite a lot to go on a shopping spree after being on HRT for some time, as dimensions will change (especially hips and waist). Buying more than I need now and having to replace it later will just stretch my already slim budget too far.

Painting nails comes with time, I'm fortunate I used to do it as a child with my sister, though I can't paint my finger nails at all as I bite them quite a bit. It's make-up I'm going to struggle with...well...eye shadow, mascara and eyeliner mainly, I don't even like wearing any form of glasses as they are too close to my eyes.

20. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I have make up experience. If you want to get used to wearig things on your eyes, desensitize them first. Try curling your lashes each morning and see if that helps get your body used to something being close to your face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.