1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Therapy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drwinchester, Feb 1, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So. Because I now have health insurance, gender therapy is now on the table.

In the process of hunting for a decent therapist who'll take my insurance. But anyway. Not much in my area but found a couple people who look promising (one's sliding scale, so even if insurance doesn't work out, I'm not out of luck).

I've never been to a proper therapist or had gender counseling. So from everyone who's been, what should I expect from a good therapist? What's a basic time-frame for diagnosis and hormone/surgery letters? What's the therapy process like?

Thanks. Hoping this all works out...

2. Nick07

Hi,
    perhaps try the search feature in the bar above. If you look up "therapist" in just the titles, you will get a lot of threads as the result. You may find some of them useful.

3. Ruthven

I've never been to a gender therapist but I do know from other people's accounts that the time it takes to get a hrt letter varies. Some people get their letters the first visit, and then others may take a few weeks to a few months. Anything near a year is beyond ridiculous, but I think some people have dealt with that. As long as the therapist is decent and reasonable, you should get a letter in a timely fashion and not have any issues like fighting them for a letter. I think surgery letters may be the same but I don't know