1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficulty passing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Halcyons, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Halcyons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi. I came out a year ago as a FtM trans, and since then I've been having difficulty passing due to my slender build and high voice. I'm thirteen and 5"5. I've already cut my hair and obtained a binder, but people I meet still think that I'm a girl. My family don't have the funds for T, so anybody have tips on passing? Thanks.

2. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    You'll probably grow a couple of inches, remember you're only 13. Also, you can always go to the gym to build muscle and retrain your voice, so don't worry about that.
    As for T, just get it when you can afford it. :slight_smile:

3. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A big part of passing is body language. If i walk and have mannerisms of a man then i pass as male if i walk and act like a girl i pass as female so practice how you walk and hold yourself, watch how guys interact and watch their body language and practice, it will eventually become natural to you. Good luck:slight_smile:

4. justjade

Body language is really important. Like Alex said, just watch how guys walk and act. Also, pay attention to your speech patterns. When you speak, talk from your chest, not from your head. Basically, try not to talk through your nose, and don't end your sentences on a "high note". It's hard not to, but once you've done it enough, it'll be easier.

Also, if you haven't already (I'm sure you have, but if not, that's OK), get some guy clothes. You may have to venture into the boys' section since you're small. You're about an inch taller than I am, so I can understand that it's hard to find stuff that fits. Also, dressing like you walked out of a magazine may work for girls, but it really doesn't for guys. Just find stuff you like and wear it. Pick up ideas from guys you know.

You're only 13, so I wouldn't worry about shaving the peach fuzz off your face yet. If you want to, you can, but you're still kind of in the prepubescent boy years. You can probably wait a few years. Basically, the peach fuzz is something that only females and boys have. You can put that off if you like. Keep in mind that this will not make your facial hair come in thicker. You'll need T for that, which you can start basically whenever your ready, mentally, physically, and financially.

And probably the most important thing you will need to do is have confidence. You're on your way to becoming the man you want to be! That's exciting! Own it! :grin:

Beyond that, stop shaving your legs and under your arms.

One more thing: If you don't know about something the guys are talking about, don't pretend you do. That will not help you pass, and if they catch you faking it, you'll just make an ass of yourself.

Anyway, good luck! I wish you the best, bro. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

Oh! And if you want to try packing, that can help. I have no thoughts on that since I haven't tried, but you can give it a go.

5. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't it strange how the ones that don't want to be feminine/masculine (depending on your biilogical sex) are always the ones that are the MOST feminine/masculine?

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a good observation. Anecdotal but nonetheless.

7. KiddlesP

I would recommend trying to get T as early as possible. For FtM it is less of an issue, but going through a male hormone puberty defiantly helps in passing.

8. suninthesky

Seconded. I don't know what the laws are like where you live, but you should try to get a job to pay for it. It'll be worth it. It's not so much the male hormonal puberty as not going through the female puberty. I wish I could've.