1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A more apt term for "straight acting" - Discreet Gay

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by duende84, Feb 2, 2014.

1. duende84

I was thinking about this for quite some time.

Since the early days I realised I was gay I associated myself with the term "straight acting". But it is really not the best term and I know many gay people find it offensive.

So the other day it occured to me. If a gay man behaves and appears in public, not much different than that of a straight man then he would qualify for the term DISCREET GAY. In other words, a straight person won't be able to tell if he/she is gay or not without asking.

I hope I don't offend anybody. But I hope that this could become a widely used term.

Peace and love to all (&&&)

You'll notice that I updated my gay status in my personal details. :thumbsup:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I don't see how that's any better that 'straight acting', it still implies that you're hiding it from people for whatever reason.

You use it to describe someone who you wouldn't know was gay unless they told you, but then that still assumes that you WOULD assume the were straight because thats the 'normal' position (I'm not saying that's how you meant it by the way, please dont think I'm having a go at you!).

3. dissimulator

It is a widely used term here, especially on dating applications- local guys point out in their 'about me' section that they are discreet e.g Discreet looking for the same. Something like that. :slight_smile:

4. duende84

ElliaOtaku - no problem. What I am suggesting is just avoiding the use of the term "straight acting". Because that is more of a lie than "discreet gay".

:slight_smile:

5. Just Jess

I think there's two great words, and I'm surprised more people don't use them.

Masculine, and feminine.

I'm feminine, and I would not be offended in the slightest if I were dating someone and she said she was more into masculine women.

Also, most of the gay men I know fit this description. They would be "straight acting"; you wouldn't know they were gay until they were holding hands, and they are some of the warmest and strongest people I know.

I guess there are some problems, I know some gay men that I think are still very masculine, that let their other side show on the surface. Rainbows, drag for fun, you name it. And it actually accentuates their masculinity, the same way a man's business shirt on a woman with a very feminine frame accentuates her femininity. They would be very masculine but not "straight acting".

But I think it's still a step in the right direction. At least this way you are describing things you would like to see in a partner instead of what you don't want to see.

6. duende84

Thank you for your input Cassie. Guess that is true. I have burnt my fingers in the past using the wrong terms I try to rectify it.

7. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    The words "straight acting" are used for people who act straight so people don't know they're gay or bi. So someone that doesn't "act gay" doesn't make him/her "straight acting" right? So how can discreet gay be a replacment term? What is your definition of a discreet gay?

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought 'straight acting' was a term used for a person who doesn't fit the typical gay stereotypes (flamboyant, feminine etc), rather than someone who is trying to act straight to 'cover up' their sexual orientation.

I would probably fit under the 'straight acting' category, since my sexual orientation is not obvious to most people who assume gay = feminine, rainbows or whatever else. I've never used the term before though, and I have no desire to start now. There are a lot of gay people on the streets who most people would never assume are gay, simply because they don't make it blindingly obvious.

I would be inclined to agree. I think masculine men, straight or gay, who are willing to dress up like a woman just for the sake of it, are very secure with their masculinity, and I find that an appealing quality. :slight_smile:

#8 imnotreallysure, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would just say non-stereotypical

10. duende84

Ooohhhkaaay.... This was a bad idea. Sorry folks. I'll rather keep my my discreet mouth shut :-(

11. duende84

Pardon the last reply. I am a bit moody for being dropped again by a guy who thinks I am a bloody fool. :-(

12. Just Jess

EDIT: Really sorry to hear about that :frowning2: His loss though.

Gonna go ahead and leave the rest of this,

I think we can find something that can work. The reason "straight acting" and "gay acting" are offensive is because of where you're drawing lines. So let's just take all the things people do, and put them in each bucket. Watching the superbowl earlier today goes in "straight acting", being able to dress yourself in clothes that make you look good goes in the "gay acting" bucket. Just every stereotype, don't be shy about it. If you know all the songs from "cats", gay acting. Liking country western music... we'll just not put that in either bucket since it's hard to decide.

Then let's take both those buckets, and dump them on the floor.

Then, and this step is key. Even though this is a thought experiment, this part is not. Say out loud, "being gay is awesome".

Then, let's make another bucket, with a question mark on it. And let's pick up all the pieces that you think describe you, and the kinds of guys you like, and put them in that bucket.

Now, let's put a sticker over the question mark, and write a label on that sticker. What word are we going to pick?

Strong? Successful? Smart?

That was the direction I was trying to go in. The reason why "straight acting" gets offensive is because no one wants to be completely normal, and no one wants to be a stereotype. No one would want to be either of the first two buckets. But anyone would probably be ok with being whatever the third bucket was.

So there's nothing wrong with wanting a word to describe you and the kind of people you like. You should absolutely look for people that would be right for you, and if a word helps you find them, go for it! You don't like the song "heaven is a place on earth" and don't think you'd get along with someone who goes to work on a pony, hey that is okay, a catch like that will have no problems finding someone else. Go for the guy that's right for you.

So just trying another label on for size, how does "down to Earth" strike you?

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hold on duende, you take that apology back!

Don't apologise because an idea went bad! You've not said anything to offend or hurt anybody, it just turns out that the idea doesn't work quite how you thought it did. We all get that from time to time! (*hug*)

14. duende84

Thank you again Cassie...

"Down to earth" is quite fitting I would say.

What I am looking for in a guy is the following:

• Down to earth
    • Cool, calm and collected
    • No frills straight-up guy look but groomed
    • Intelligent insightful mind and personality
    • Creative soul
    • Positive energy
    • Playful humour without being mindless
    • Mindfull and caring without being clingy
    • Career driven and orientated
    • Adventurous and a go-getter without being brutal
    • Healthy habits that fringes on being contagious
    • Good looking open face with a glimmer in the eyes would not hurt
    • Good self-esteem without being narsistic
    • Appreciated good food and wine and music
    • Not being scared to get his hands dirty building something in the workshop, garden or kitchen
    • Being a true friend that can stand up for me and vice versa
    • God-fearing without being a mindless radical
    • Non-biased towards set corrupt "commercial" ideas and theories
    • And being able to formulte an opinion of his own and also admit when he is wrong
    • Not being stuck in set ways

Okay... I'll stop now... making this list wont make him materialise before my very eyes and I think I am side-tracking myself here (facepalm).

/D

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2014 at 01:58 PM ----------

Yet again I feel the need to say sorry... sorry :icon_redf

15. Gingerblond93

Since I came out last year to my family and friends as gay, people tell my I act much more gay or am noticeably gay. I guess it's because I am secure in who I am and no longer hiding it. Before I came out I worked at acting straight, tried to be all macho and it just failed and looked awkward only because it did not fit me.

I am more feminine and no longer hide who I am and it feel's so free.

16. duende84

In a way I can be thankful I don't have a secret person hiding under my skin (no offence intended).

When I do come out fully I'll still just be me but with the added bonus of voicing my full opinions in public and appearing with a boyfriend in public.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    + 1. This works.

Because it sounds like a person who does not fit a checklist people would be apt to look for.

18. pgame311

pgame311 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As a masculine guy, I agree. I like "non-stereotypical" because it takes some of the weight off of the language. Honestly, I think it's also a good idea just to list interests and stuff and not try to make cliquey names—while there are a ton of stereotypes out there and many people do fulfill them to a T, I know a twinky drama queen who genuinely loves football and a jocky hockey player who gives it the eye-roll. It's cool that you're looking for new language though, because as a guy who would probably describe himself as "straight-acting," I need a new word because I'm neither straight nor acting.

19. duende84

Just a side note... but the guy that fits this description came into my life two months ago... he fits this list description so well that it is sometimes scary... we are taking things slow and sober... hoping for the best every day.

20. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    straight acting? does it really matter? at the end of the day were just being ourselves. Some people are camp, some flamboyant some aren't. I could be described as straight acting but I don't consider it to be straight acting because i'm not walking hand in hand with a girl lol. I'm just being myself. I have a terrible fashion sense and feel more comfortable in jeans and t shirt because that's what I choose to wear.