1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM transitioning process explained simply?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kirk1701, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Kirk1701

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was hoping someone would be able to explain the FtM transitioning process really simply?

Basic enough that I could put it into a 'coming out' pack for one of my friends?

If anyone could that would be amazing!!
    Thank you!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not convinced that's possible since it varies for every single trans person...

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience:

The first step is to know thyself. The first person you're coming out to is really yourself. Acknowledging those feelings are there really. How long the self-acceptance process is can vary. I still have faint moments where I beat myself up over my identity, and I've been out since I was 16.

For me, I was out on a few LGBTQ sites/networks before I started opening up to the people around me. The first I remember was a queer friend of mine (who I'm wishy-washy with) and my mom. After that I was opening up to other friends and found a network I was safe in. I didn't seek out therapy until I was 17, but I was in there for reasons unrelated to transition, so it was another wrench in the cogs that have been making things more challenging to get by.

One part of the process is finding a therapist who can help you sort out feelings and help you figure out where you want to go with transition. Therapy can be a real hit or miss (not to discourage), and it can take some time to find someone to work with. How long it will take to get approved can vary. I've heard people say they got their letter after one or two sessions and others said it was a bit longer or somewhere out there. If you want to start HRT or have surgery is up to you, and where you want to take that you can discuss with your therapist.

If you aren't sure where to find a therapist that specializes in gender issues or trans* clients, you can check sites like TruSelves, T-Vox, DrBecky(?), PFLAG and other LGBT networks to find someone close to you.

But Ellia is right. Not everyone's experiences are the same, so it will vary for everyone. If you're interested, PFLAG has pdf files on trans* issues that you can look into.

PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree also, it's different for everyone. Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't think that you should give all the information about the transition process up front when coming out - a lot of people find the idea that they need to start using a new name or new pronouns with you jarring enough! If you feel you need to bring it up, saying something like "you might see me go through some gradual changes to make me more like the man I am inside" should suffice. That would cover everything from cutting your hair, changing your style of dress, inducing a male puberty through T...any of the visual changes common to trans guys that happen over a number of years.