1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a rather bad situation....

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by warholwendy, Feb 3, 2014.

1. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm transgender and once I finish my transition and have a female body I will probably only really pursue relationships with woman so it will be lesbian relationships.

Now this is all fine and dandy but the problem is I live in southwest Missouri.

Take from that what you will.

2. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi :slight_smile:

Well, have you considered moving out? Living in an unhealthy surrounding (which Missouri is, I guess) may have really bad affection on you. It's not worth it. I know that it's easier said than done, but when you will want to fix a trouble with a lack of tolerance towards you, that may be the only solution.

I hope you will overcome troubles. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :slight_smile:

3. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Well, have you considered moving out?"

I can't. I'm 13.

I say this because Missouri is generally a very conservative state but it might not be all bad. I'm planning on coming out to my parents and family when I'm out of college and totally independent when they can't really do anything.

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

oh... wow I've replied to many of your posts.. they way you carried yourself, your vocabulary.. I really though you were much older, bravo girlfriend ^^
    But are you positive you wish to wait? the sooner you get on hormones, the better... I'm not sure if you've gone through puberty yet (as a male) but taking estrogen before it starts or during will help you maintain and develop a more feminine body.
    However if you really are going to wait, i'm sure you can find a support group in Missouri, yea?

Sorry I didnt want to sound like I am pushy.. totally not me lol ^^;

5. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Well, as suggested, if you're up for playing the waiting game, go ahead but I would recommend getting on Anti-Androgens as soon as possible, therapy, and HRT once you're ready. I wouldn't really mind your town too much, I would worry about family first. See how open to the idea they would be. Ask them if they support Gay Marriage, as if they support this they probably support/ tolerate other aspects of LGBT-ness. If your family watches What Would You Do? I know they have done several episodes concerning MtF transsexuals before. Record an episode and gauge their reactions.
    As Plenilune said, you really should start transitioning as soon as possible, if not physically socially. Don't let this discourage you however as there are plenty of MtF's that have only transitioned in college and have done so successfully.

Really you just have to see what your best option is and go with it. As bad as you may think your parents are, if YOU are coming out to them they might become suddenly open to new ideas. Just be careful if you do come out, they are okay legally to throw you out of the house, but it can turn your life into a warzone if they don't support it. Unless you need to come out and it is killing you to keep it a secret, then I recommend finding extended family that are more open-minded to the idea, if not family then friends (but only as a last resort, untrustworthy blah blah blah)

Good luck friend! :grin:

6. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I'm 27 just starting to transition... but.. I'm getting alot of compliments from people I am "out" to.. I need to work harder because of my late transition, but it makes it that much more awesome when I'm out in public and people use "ma'am", don't do a double take, or look at me like I'm weird

I just wanted to give you experience from both sides of the table

7. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, everyplace has haters. And I won't say you won't encounter ignorant people who feel the need to spread their misery to others, because you will. However, this country is becoming better with the issue of LGBT rights. Specifically, the issues of same-sex marriage and trans* peoples access to facilities(usually restrooms but not always) that are gender congruent. Basically, are their going to be crappy people in MO? Yes. Can they legally stop you from doing what you want? Not for too much longer with the way the court cases have been going.

8. LunarSmile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know exactly how you feel. I live in southwest Missouri as well

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

I have lived all over the USA... and Missouri has been by far the worse state for anyone that is associated with the LGBT community

9. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You guys had a lot to say so I'm just going to reply to a few things specifically but I am considering all of your opinions on the matter!

"Ask them if they support Gay Marriage,"

My mom doesn't, rather odd because she's a democrat. Don't know about my dad.

"if YOU are coming out to them they might become suddenly open to new ideas"

That is something interesting to note.

"Well, everyplace has haters."

Not trying to badmouth MO I love my state just some of the people are just ugh.

"if not family then friends (but only as a last resort, untrustworthy blah blah blah)"

I'm actually out to all of my peers. Interesting to note none of them have been hostile.

I will eventually come out to my family but that is at a later date.

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2014 at 04:23 PM ----------

I will say that the college I plan on going to has an LGBT support group which is pretty good

10. Techno Kid

I don't know much about Missouri (I'm Canadian), but I thought it was more of a "swing/purple state." Would you be able to get up to St. Louis or Kansas City for the support you need? Looking at your age it is not a good idea to go alone...but maybe a supportive relative or friend could take you? :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

11. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah I think I'll be alright

12. Techno Kid

Okay, you can come to us if you ever need help! ^ ^

13. warholwendy