1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused__Crossdresser__Gender help__Advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by luvbifashchic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. luvbifashchic

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not quite sure what my gender is anymore. I'm born as a guy, and I'm happy in the body that I am in, but I like to dress feminine. My problem is that my body obviously doesn't accommodate female clothing. It feels right though.

I've tried to wear some girly clothing in public, and when I say that it's really just things that are fairly unnoticeable (Sneaker wedges, skinny jeans) I've never worn any tops.

But my main thing is, even in something like sneaker wedges, I feel like people still notice and I have a hard time keeping my confidence up when I think they do.

I almost want to go for a unisex or androgynous (am I using that term right?) look, maybe leaning towards the fem side a little more. But my confidence is very low...

Big factor #2: My family as a whole is not open in any way towards really any sort of sexual diversity. They think any sort of gender difference is strange...I really kills me hearing them poking fun at it, because it's really sensitive stuff and bothers me because I'm in a bad situation of being confused and unsure. My biggest fear that runs through my mind is being completely banished from my family and just suffering in pain...

I've had a mishap with them one time because I bought a womans blazer in a thrift store and they asked me why I bought a blazer made for women. I tried to play it off since I was really scared and went on the defensive. I think they got rid of it since I haven't been able to find it recently.

Which sort of leads me to another thing that I get scared of is when I go into the women's section shopping, I'm not sure what I feel, it's almost an embarrassing feeling of some sort, and in the thrift store/y like this one woman looked at me funny and it was like my heart just sank. But I know that when I'm actually wearing the clothing, it can be sort of hard to tell that I got it from the women's section and that I actually do enjoy wearing it once it's bought.

I don't want to make this a long read, but I'm just having a lot of trouble understanding myself in an environment that's really unsafe. And I'm sure I'm not alone on the situation but it feels awful being confused and scared of the world around me. It's like I'm trapped in a shell... :icon_sad: I really need advice/help...

2. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what you said, it sounds like you enjoy cross dressing, but your low self esteem keeps you from trying on more clothing right?

I'm sorry about your family being in-accepting. My best advice would be to buy the clothes online or when without your family, and to secret them away into your room. If they catch you with women's clothes, just claim its for your online girlfriend :wink: that always works (right? I think so...)

I've worn the same pair of men's shoes and a man's hoodie for two weeks now, and nobody has noticed. Not even my parents. They all think its just a cute sweater I found while on a shopping trip with a friend. As much as you may think someone's noticing, they probably won't unless you point it out. I once shaved off my eyebrows for a bet, and nobody noticed at my physical therapy (and school) until I asked how it looked.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I started out like you, I was dressing up so to say, in my free time as a teen, I thought nothing of it, just a hobby, around your age the urges got stronger, and I started questioning myself.. but I repressed it for a few years as I went through relationship after relationship, finally it just busted I couldn't repress it anymore.. so I decided to come out ^^ thrift stores are a great place to start if you wish to explore more, and dont worry about shopping for female clothing.. if anyone asks, just say it's for your gf, a present or what not... it's what I used to do...

I hope I helped abit.. =3

4. luvbifashchic

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I appreciate the advice a lot (*hug*) it did help a bit. What happened when you came out? I'm just scared of losing close friends and being labeled...

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2014 at 03:36 PM ----------

Thanks Ash, I do enjoy it, and yes I have a confidence problem with it. I have bought womens clothing online (Heels, jeans) and it does help, it's just keeping it hidden enough :frowning2: I've said the girlfriend thing before and it sort of helps but it just feels weird lying about it. Are you open about your masculinity with others?

5. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I'm not. I'm not a very masculine person, I just know that I think I identify as a guy. I love Alexander McQueen, and I would die happy if I had a wardrobe of Burberry. I spend as much free time as possible surfing sites for male clothes, but I don't buy anything. I only own two truly male pieces of clothing, and everybody just assumes they're girls clothes, except for the friend who bought them with me. Even she doesn't know about all this; she just thinks I'm funky for letting her dress me in male clothes while we shop.

Every time my family inadvertently disses the kind of guy I want to be, I feel like I'm lying to myself because I don't say anything. When we went shopping, I convinced my friend to look in the men's section after asking what she would dress her crush up in. It sucks having to lie, but I'm just not ready to tell anyone. I even have a trans friend, but I won't tell her either. I think I might have reached Narnia, for all the hiding I've done in the closet.

Oh, and is your profile pic of you? I love your glasses! They look great on you! I could never pull those frames off, but my sister wears a style like that :wink:

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be who you are.

I'm male, and have no desire to transition but having a female appearance (not just clothing) is desirable to me while maintaining a male :smilewavementality. Sadly this is not feasible for me either, so I do go out as a female once in a while, but never in front of anyone I know.

However as far as dressing goes, no one cares what you wear... at least in my experience. I wear skinny jeans and wedges and mary janes all the time casually no one comments other than a few people interested. He'll I've had seemingly heteronormative men say those are cool as well as women. So have confidence... no one cares in the end.

As far as your gender issues is it beyond just clothes or do you want to look over all like a female or do you have a female mindset or what?

You at first seem like me, and not like you want to transition.

7. luvbifashchic

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I kinda had to google Burberry, aaand omg I agree lol. Maybe that and Louboutins haha. Do you have a favorite male clothing brand? (Besides Burberry?)

I lie to myself about who I am too, I'm not ready to tell my family, mainly because I don't understand myself a whole lot. Plus like, watching TV, they always make whitty comments on for example: a commercial for Ru Paul's show, and it just bothers me.

What kind of guy do you want to be?

And yes that is me thank you so much! I'm extremely ashamed to say they're faux glasses though...

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2014 at 08:42 PM ----------

You're right I don't wish to transition, I'm happy as a guy I just have a very feminine mindset. Some of it kind of goes beyond clothing, which is sorta why I developed a curiosity in guys. But I'm unsure, it's a really confusing thought process. How many times did you have to go out in public before it became second nature, like wearing whatever you want and not being afraid.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god... I used to hate myself for those urges. But only around my mid to late 20s did I actually go out in androgynous clothing and only recently fully. I mean I love the female aesthetic and if I was a female biologically I'd definitely be a lesbian. I've only recently actually worn dresses out in public. Skirts and skinny jeans and stuff for a while now.

The thing is I prefer the "male mentality" and traditionally male activities. So that's where I stand.

If "passing" is something I can do then that's all I go for. If it were just a matter of appearance and it were socially acceptable I'd be having a female appearance all the time if I could. That doesn't mean though I dislike being male.

That make sense?

9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Actually... everyone has been very supportive of me coming out... My mother has waffled... but shes finally stabilized and become supportive for good...I haven't came out to my father yet... he scares me lol but my jobs support me... my sister-in-laws even want to take me shopping and have a ladies day out lol

10. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, if I had the confidence to be myself, I would probably be an extraordinarily stereotypical flaming gay guy. In fact, I have no doubt of this. I think it is just a matter of me getting there one day.

As I said, I LOVE Burberry and Alexander McQueen. Louis Vuitton isn't terrible, but I think he makes some odd combinations. I really enjoy Forever21 Men and Rue21 as well. I was also recently introduced to a site called sammydress.com which seems to have promise too.

Faux glasses are not a bad thing! Sometimes I wish mine were faux; then they wouldn't be necessary. Do you have any favorite designers/brands?

11. luvbifashchic

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah that makes sense, you must have a good body to wear dresses and skirts, I could NEVER pull them off. I'd probably do the same having a female appearance all the time if I could too.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 02:52 PM ----------

I have some clothing from 21men, they have a great selection. Ummm I usually wear a lot of American Eagle, but my fave brand would have to be...I think I have to go with Mr. Calvin Klein. Although I don't feel like blowing the money on a lot of the stuff, both the men's and women's section are just so dashing *_* Omg BTW, I'm in love with Rue21 looking at some of their stuff, the girls section <3 The guys section is amazing too. You have to stop introducing me to these new brands!

12. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's soooooooo worth it though!! I have yet to really delve into Calvin Klein, but I have no problems indulging in their GORGEOUS models! Anyone else think it's gettin' a little hot in here? American Eagle is something I'll have to look into as well :slight_smile:

The nice thing about Rue21 is their sales. I think it's amazing that they have a different sale every day! Have you gotten to smell their new perfume? Usually I stay away from perfumes and such, but dang their newest one is AMAZING!!!!! I was introduced to it by a cute assistant who fangirled with me :wink:

13. luvbifashchic

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    AE is amazinggg, the jeans are pricey but insanely comfy! They're just so soft. I have a fragrance called 1977 (men's) and it's also amazing. I haven't tried Rue21 yet, what's the perfume called? I looked at the sale section and WOAHmg $5 tops!! Do you realize what you've done haha.

14. Ash93

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've converted you!! Haha!!! I don't know the name of the fragrance, but it's a new spring line that's coming out and it smelled sooooo good! It's homemade by the CEO's wife too:wink: