1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(trans) Full-time as a woman/man

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Claudette, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Hey everyone, I was just curious as to when you decided to start living as a woman or man full time?

I know it's a prerequisite for surgery, but I was just curious as to when you made that leap, and went out and blitzed the world!

I know it can be a traumatic experience if done too early, but.. I've been living as a woman in my free-time(at home), I've told my job what they should expect(as per my therapists advice)

I've been building my confidence, by switching over to women products(deodorant, shampoo, lotion, etc) and by donating all my male underwear, and switching to panties and female tanks/undershirts to wear underneath my male clothes during my working hours(this ultimately means being tucked nearly 24/7, which I enjoy.. glad to have the damned-able thing hidden away) and by taking walks at night as a woman (safe neighborhood, big dog to walk lol)
    By doing so I've gained more courage, and being more open about my femininity in my daily routines (my stance, body language, & by accident the way I walk)

However my therapist says it's not for her to decide when I go 24/7 as a woman, but when I feel I am ready.., I am on HRT.. but I just recently started, and the only change I can see, is a brighter,softer face, and softer skin all around.. but that could be from the lotion and face wash...(my facial hair also seems to be growing slower)

my voice is getting more feminine by voice exercises, but I still notice I occasionally revert back to my deeper male voice.. instead of my ambiguous tone

so.. any advice as to how long I should wait.. would be great! Thank you ^^

2. Sully

I know naught about transitioning being cis gendered, but I suppose your therapist is right. Only you can really know for sure.

When do you think you'll be ready to live fully as the woman you are?

Anyway, congratulations on your progress, hope all goes well :slight_smile:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went full time last October. While it is a requirement I be full time to get hormones (or it was last time I checked at least) it has nothing to do with why.

I suppose the biggest thing to consider is whether you want to come out/go full time because you have prepared yourself and made yourself ready OR you want to do it because you don't have another option. Depending on how well the hormones work for you, you might struggle to hide random boobs, eventually you'll HAVE to do it. Personally I wouldn't want to be forced out by anyone, especially my own body!

It's not like it's going to get easier. That first step is really hard, and so are the ones after that.

Try thinking about it this way. You are a woman. You know this because you are comfortable being a woman. You dress how you want and do what you want as a woman because you can and it feels good.

So instead of "When should I go full time?" think instead, "When will I let myself feel good all the time"

It's better to think of the positive side of the act (being yourself, always) than to think of the negative (oh shit I've got to tell people and DEAL with things)! :slight_smile:

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I was going to wait until I looked more naturally femme.. but I don't know lol. I know HRT will only do so much, and my hair is still kinda short, and wigs are.. I like em, they jut get all rat's nest looking lol

5. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Girl, you look God en femme anyway. don't wait on that note. Like Ellia said, when do you want to make yourself feel good all the time?

6. Nick07

I wouldn't use a wig if I could avoid it. Your coworkers should see the same you slowly changing. IMHO. It will give them time to adjust.
    You can start to wear something gender neutral and gradually introduce some more feminine tops or jewelry.

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Thank you Emma ^^
    I still need to wait on my work approved shoes, I don't think tight jeans will go well with big ol' padded boots lol.
    I do have more wigs coming, since my real hair isn't even at my neck yet lol

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember the first time one of the little girls I work with saw me in a wig, she cried and didn't dare speak to me, even after I took it off! Obviously I don't imagine you'll be getting QUITE the same reaction xD

9. suninthesky

I did it gradually. I cut my hair short, which isn't too big of a deal, but just started wearing more guys clothes. I kinda see it more as a process instead of a marked point.

10. justjade

I can't say I live full time as a man. Well, at least not with people perceiving me as a man. I don't pass well at all, but I don't do "girl" things anymore. I only wear men's clothes, including underwear. I'm getting ready to get some binders so I can stop wearing bras. My hair's short. I go to a barber instead of a hair dresser (not like that makes a difference or anything). I'm still afraid to use the men's bathroom though.

11. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I understand that! My skinny jeans look RIDICULOUS with my work boots. I have some shots after Converse All-Star fashion that I can wear. Ooh, and you're very welcome:wink::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2014 at 09:32 AM ----------

I know I have a different view on things, but you're not missing on much in the mens room. It smells icky! Eeew!! Smells like :***:! LOL!

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess since last year, but I don't know.

13. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I've been sleeping in my breastforms (which are really comfy, now that I've got used to them), my wig, and female clothes.. usually boy shorts and a tank(kinda cold for a nightie =p). I never slept so well in my life tbh lol I wake up with more energy

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It's been a gradual process for me since about August. I stopped wearing make up, my clothing even when I'm presenting female is more gender neutral. I bind and present male at school. Even though I rarely pass for male, I'm known as my preferred name and occasionally, people are cool enough to humor me with male pronouns. I wear sports bras and men's jeans if I'm presenting female, I've got a 'man's' wallet. I've stopped forcing feminine mannerisms. My counselor noted that while I'm not uber masculine, my mannerisms and posture naturally skew masculine.

By May, I will be living full time no matter what happens.

15. anonym

anonym Guest

Using men's bathrooms is the thing I am most afraid of in the whole transition!

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've spent 23 years using mens bathrooms and not once has anyone acknowledged anybody else's existence...nobody wants to talk there. Trust me.

17. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I got 2 pairs of work shoes, one androgynous, and the other some cute Mary Jane's, going to ease into them slowly

18. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

i got a pair of ankle boots with low heeels and wear them all the time, no ones seems to notice