1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it worth it? - FtM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kirk1701, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Kirk1701

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it worth going through all the transitioning and everything that comes with it, when there is a chance that one will lose their family and may lose their friends?

I'm just struggling to decided whether or not to 'go through' with it all. And I just want to know if it is worth it in the end?

2. Nick07

:slight_smile: only you can decide that. For some people it's not, for some it's almost mandatory.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's up to you. For me, even if I lose everyone, it would be worth it if it means I'm comfortable in my own skin.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like the others have said, not something we can answer for you.

I know it has been for me, I don't want to imagine how I would be right now if I hadn't started transitioning. But it's all up to you whether its necessary.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

If you lose someone in being yourself, they weren't worth keeping in the first place.

6. PhoenixisRising

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say, I agree with what everyone has said here. If its something that's going to make you happy in the long run, then why not? People are going to dislike what they don't understand, but if your family and friends truly 'care' and 'respect' you, they will stand by you and be there for you through it all... just saying.

7. Nick07

You know, sometimes transition is not worth losing your family. You must decide that. It is not true that if the family doesn't understand the concept, then the family members are not worth for you to be with them. It doesn't mean that they are all bad people.
    You must ask YOURSELF. Will you be happy without them? Even if you transition?

8. Ruthven

Exactly.

I'm not gonna sacrifice who I am and anything else else that makes me happy for anyone. But that's just me. Do what you feel is best for you. But just keep in mind what drwinchester said.

9. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

No one can really answer that. I guess it comes down to what you want. To be accepted by others? Or being able to accept yourself.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With my personal experience, I considered dropping everything and going back in the closet. Then thinking it over, I knew I'd be worse off and it would be the literal death of me to go back to how things were.

Again, this is something that comes down to how you feel at the end of the day.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's just say be happy with yourself before you make others happy.

True friends will be happy you are happy.

12. Romy J

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you don't mind, I'd like to put a little spin on this. I, personally, look at it more as "How can you expect others to accept you, if you don't accept yourself?"

As everyone else said though, in the end it comes down to what you feel. In my case, I'm taking it very slowly. I've only told (irl) a few of my very closest friends. The ones that are so close of friends to me that they may as we'll be family (and my mother considered them as such).

Thankfully, they all took it well (the woman of the group has even offered me clothes). With that group set up as my support system, I'm nudging myself towards telling blood relatives.

However, everyone is different. What I've done may not work for anyone else. In the end, I know I will be happier and still have those dearest to me in my life. So, as far as anyone beyond that group is concerned (yes, I realize this kind of sounds bad when it comes to blood family), they can just accept it or not.

In the end, you have to be happy though. If you can be happy without transitioning, then good on ya. :icon_bigg

13. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

:lol:I think that depends on the person. For me it is, but that's just my experience.

14. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't be telling one family member that's gonna die sometime soon. So they don't count. Everyone else is fair game! If you've moved out, live your life! You can't live your life solely to please others. It'll make you miserable. Heck, I lost a few friends simply by coming out. Y'know what I think? F**k em all! Not literally, even if the thought did cross my mind xD If they refuse to try to understand you... they're a waste of time.

15. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Probably, once you've moved out and you're stable. As long as you feel happy with yourself; I'm sure that having someone honest, but unexpectedly so, than to not have them at all.