1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formal Attire for the Genderfluid Woman?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Balloonwolf, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Balloonwolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey everyone!

School's about to get back in session, and I've registered for a speech course that, sadly, requires its students to wear professional attire during speeches. It's spring semester, which means warm weather in California; however, I'm more concerned about the style.

I'm not out to my friends, coworkers, or professors on campus, so I'm worried on how to exactly dress for these upcoming speeches. With a masculine body and appearance, I can wear a traditional jacket and pair of slacks, but I would feel too masculine and awkward in a suit. The jacket alone is a big box with even bigger shoulders, sometimes. I would not enjoy having to wear such outfit around. However, if I dressed too feminine, I would possibly put my audiences, fellow classmates, in an awkward position. I love the idea that women can wear skirts, blouses, and other outfits for their speeches. Sadly, If I were to show up in a skirt or flowing business dress, I could be mocked or even beaten.

I've brought it up with a friend, and ze's helped me look for some heeled shoes, outfit ideas using scarves and such, but I'm thinking of bringing it up to the professor, who happens to be female. Hopefully, she'll be open and encouraging with my feelings.

I just won't feel comfortable wearing a suit, yet I know I have to fit in somewhere for the assigned presentations.

Any advice, links, or assistance would be fabulous!

2. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What about a vest?

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Vests work well, also some button down shirts ans sweaters work as well. You just have to play around with it and see what works best for you :slight_smile:

4. Balloonwolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have looked at vests! I've also looked at sweaters. What would I wear under a vest, though? Just a dress shirt?

5. Manta

That sounds like a good outfit :slight_smile: I have several friends who refuse to wear dresses because they are too uncomfortable in them, and vests work very well. Slacks and a nice shirt may also be fine, depending on the teacher.

One thing I also do when I an nervous about a performance is I always have a 'power accessory' (don't laugh!) On a day-to-day basis I always wear the same necklace, until it has becomes a part of my identity. When it is showtime, I switch it out for a different piece, and can 'become' whoever I want :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Its a psychological trick to help me when I don't feel comfortable in front of a certain crowd.