1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Did You Come Out As Trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Gaybestfriend01, Feb 11, 2014.

1. How did you guys and gals come out and tell your friends and families that you were transgender?

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Told them straight up, I have a mental condition called "Gender Dysphoria" then explained the whole thing to them, one after another lol

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Came out through a letter to my mother at 17. Then came out to almost everyone else really fast. After that I was more selective. It's none of their business.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I came out to my mother on accident. She asked to use my computer, since her computer was being worked on. I forgot to log off of my university gmail account. My mom wanted to go to her gmail, so she tried to log onto gmail. She ended up on my account (since I had not logged out) and the last email that I had up was the one that I sent asking for my nametag to be changed.. Then I just said that the reason I wanted it to be changed was because I was trans*. That was followed by me crying for about 20 minutes and then being late to work as a result..

My mom told my dad (with my permission). He said "do you think I'm fucking blind". My parents told my grandparents, on accident. It came up in a conversation, and my parents confirmed it.

I have emailed both my workplaces. My college one has been totally awesome! They have honored my chosen name and pronouns (although, they are still working on pronouns a bit). My hometown workplace has not yet responded to my emails. I am going to have to call them, which I'm not looking forward to, since I hate talking on the phone.

Other than that, I used word of mouth and facebook to come out to people. I posted a status, and changed my name on facebook. Most people got the idea, and the ones that did not messaged me and I explained it more.

5. Summer Rose

I told my online friends in the most direct way possible...online. Most were a little confused, but accepted it. Told my mother over facebook, and she seems fine with it (after being surprised and confused). Finally, I told my grandmother through a letter, but...after a brief conversation, the only thing getting through my local closet are molecules.

So that's my story so far.

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first person I told was my boyfriend, while I was drunk. He handled it pretty well. Then I started selecting friends I thought would respond well and told them directly. I'm still working on that, but I'd say most of my friends know now. I haven't given them a new name to call me by since I'm still working on that, and told them I don't care much about pronouns just yet since I want to wait until I tell my family for them to use them. I'm not out to my parents yet, but I'm thinking of writing them a letter. My dad already knows something's up, and he's encouraging me to write it out if I have to. Hopefully they won't be too shocked. Once I see how that goes, I'll tell my employers.

7. Agathist

Out Status:
    A few people
    Came out to my mom tonight by saying "Would you be okay if I was transgendered?"
    She said, "if you think that's what will make you happy." And my employer thinks I'm gay because I've mentioned I go to the LGBT center, I'm hoping that acceptance will be able to branch out when/if I transition, He's insanely picky with employees and loves me so I think he'd keep me around even if he ends up being transphobic though.

8. darklord

I always were really open with my boyfriend about whatever I am thinking. I have been thinking about sexuality and gender subjects for longer than I have known him... So there was no "miracle moment" when I told him... I've been telling him about my thoughts all along.
    I haven't told my parents or siblings, nor do I intend to. I don't live with them and they have no real need to know. I know I would just make them feel uneasy.
    I have told some of my friends... I just quite directly told it.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I was in a co-op in Portal 2 with my brother, and I asked him "Hey, can I tell you something?" "Yeah, sure." Then I came out as trans to him. He was awesome about it, and let me know if mom wasn't as accepting about it, he'd always have my back. The day after, I wrote a letter with my mother, and while I thought she'd be the one to cry, I was the blubbering baby about the whole thing. She said she knew something was up, and had suspected it for a while, though she wasn't too ecstatic about it. She also told dad at some point, and he had a similar reaction.

I later told some select friends about it who were all on-board, came out at school which was a nightmare (good thing university has been much more lenient about this sort of thing), and my coworkers who were more than accepting about it. My boss even issued me a new name tag the day after I let him know. Oh, yeah, as for my girlfriend, she handed it pretty well. I already let her know about my gender problems beforehand when we first started dating, but when I came out as a trans guy, all she could say was, "I prefer calling you boyfriend, anyway."

10. justjade

I was just talking in this stream of consciousness kind of way with my husband in the room, and it just came out. I came out to him and myself at the same time, which was pretty special. I also then e-mailed my best friend. He was really cool about it. He immediately started using masculine pronouns for me. I called another friend of mine, and he went so far as to ask me if I wanted a new name. The rest of the people I told weren't so cool about it. They basically just ignore it. There's one guy that's really inquisitive about it, which is kind of nice. My sister's having less of a hard time with it now. I haven't told the rest of my family, but I did tell this random dude at a restaurant, and he was cool about it and said I should move to Athens, Ohio where everyone is pretty accepting because, let's face it, the people where I live kind of suck.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) I just opened up to my queer friends, most of whom were cool about it and instantly on top of using my name and pronouns correctly.

2) One friend was on my ass, wanting to know why I was so depressed. I came out and he was really relaxed about it. He was more curious about what pansexuality was than the typical questions you get asked when you come out. I was just another bro and that was that.

3) Family pulled the "I always knew" shit, but many to me don't seem to really...care but say what I want to hear. They forbid me from telling my sister, but I know she'll have to get told if I can transition this year.

12. Niko

How I came out to my family wasn't exactly what I was planning on. But long story short, the whole day of my coming out was hell, my dad kept saying that I really needed to grow up and start being a woman by wearing girl things, make up and so on. Later that night my family pretty much pinned me in a corner with a ton of questions such as: "Do you feel like a freak?" " Why do you always stick up for your friend's transgender boyfriend." and so on. So by doing that I broke down and told them that I was no different than my friend's boyfriend. They haven't told me to dress or be like a woman since, so no regrets there.

My family then proceeded to out me to everyone else in the family and I had no idea about this till recently. I'm kind of thankful that they did, but I still wish they would've told me that they told them. :dry:

As for my friends, well I'm only out to my best friend. I came out to her by writing a two paged letter and giving it to her, because I can't talk about these things in person that well. Still haven't told my friend who has the trans boyfriend yet. I'm also out to a good online friend, but we sort of came out as trans together, so that was the easiest coming out.

13. dropbox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told most of my friends at around the same time. We were just talking, and I didn't have the intent of coming out to them that day, but a related subject came up and one thing led to another. They didn't really understand, but they're coming along.

It was pretty spontaneous with my mother, too. I was sitting in class one day and suddenly felt really comfortable with the idea of telling her. When I got home, I freaked out a little, but just did it fast. The rest of my family doesn't know yet.

14. Sarah257

Well, I'm just now coming out and have only told two people so far. The first person I told was my best friend. She's pretty amazing and easy to talk to, but even then I did itin a slightly indirect way. I was nervous and decided to make it a kind of guessing game during a phone call. I would give her clues and see if she would get the message. After about a half hour of this going on (during which I was cracking up from some of her guesses) I felt at ease enough to tell her directly. As I expected, she was totally cool with it.

The second person I told was my mother. I was originally going to wait a week or two, but once I officially recognized my gender dysphoria I couldn't take keeping my silence for that long. So, when she said she needed to go to town and was planning to stop at Goodwill, I decided it would be the opportune time to tell her AND snag some clothes that were really me. It worked out fairly well and now I can be myself around her.

That being said, I doubt I'll tell a large number of people I know for a while. A lot of my family is likely to have really bad reactions and most of my other friends won't understand. I mean, seriously, if they thought that me liking My Little Pony was wierd, how could they grasp this? :lol:

15. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I told my best friend through text. She took it really well

16. Romy J

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly, I'm still coming out to everyone. My online friends I just came out and said it, while my irl friends I've been a little more cautious with. The first of them I pulled aside and said, " Hey, um, I have something I need to tell you." At which point she thought I was going to tell her I was gay. Once she understood where I was coming from, and what it's all about, she's actually been by my side for everyone else I've told. Each time it seems to get a bit easier.

The fun part comes the next couple days though. I'm trying to get ahold of my teenage sisters to tell them.

17. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

I wrote my parents a letter, and friends I told in person or over text. (I wouldn't recommend over text it got kind of awkward.) I live as stealth though, so I'm not out to everyone.