1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and arts correlation?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Andstillimhere7, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is it true that gay people and art interest have a correlation? I myself think it's true to an extent, I play the clarinet, sing, love musicals, dance, sew, draw, write.

Do think there's a correlation?

2. Manta

There may be correlation, but I wouldn't put any money on causation or interdependence.

3. Maverik

I've been a straight male my whole life, and now that I've begun to explore my gender, I find that it is still the "fairer sex" that I am attracted do despite my own personal standing, and I absolutely adore singing & musicals. I also studied film for 3 years so, take that for what you will I suppose.

But for what it's worth, no, I wouldn't consider myself "gay". Or at least, not in the stereotypical way you're describing it.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose there is, but I imagine it's only because most of the arts subjects seem to be off-limits to guys because they are too girly.

5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is a complete generalization but I think people who are into the arts are generally more open to trying things and accepting themselves as gay (or whatever the case may be)

That doesn't hold true for everyone by any means, but it's likely to be a factor. Quite a few of the non-straight people I know are VERY creative (I like to think I am too, I hope so) but then again, not all of them are.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dislike the arts and don't get why people think they are so great.
    I believe that this is another gay stereotype.

7. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I think it's the other way around - artsy people are generally more open to experience, and probably more open to a same-sex relationship than others. That being said, nothing's absolute. There are plenty of gay guys here who are very masculine.

8. Saintly89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that there may be. But, it could also be that people associated with the arts are more likely to be out.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strictly looking at correlative data, in an unscientific way:

Oberlin College is a liberal arts/music conservatory combined. I went to school there and lived in the community (and thus spent a lot of time around students) for a number of years afterward.

-- A phenomenally high number of male conservatory students who played certain instruments were gay (clarinet, oboe, French horn, voice were the highest incidence of gay people.) Among people I knew in those circles, it was widely known that this wasn't just a phenomena at Oberlin; the majority of people who played those instruments professionally or semi-professionally, for whatever reason, are gay.

-- Same is disproportionately true of male dancers (jazz, ballet, tap; less so with hip-hop) and male actors, particularly in musical theater.

I doubt there's any causative factor. I have read speculation that all of these call on the right side of the brain more, which tends to be more focused on creativity, and we also have, at least for men, some pretty good evidence that there's a correlation between left-handedness, which is usually associated with right-brain dominance, and being gay, though there the correlation is much weaker than with the instruments and theater involvement. Nonetheless, it points to the same aspect of brain creativity.

We also know that certain other fields thought of as creative (architecture, hairdressing, costume/clothing design) tend to attract a disproportionate number of gay men.

Why this is, I don't think there's been much study of. But the correlations are pretty strong.