1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do i need to do?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kirby64, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Kirby64

Hey

I've been thinking so much about what i need to do and what i can do with regards transitioning and also what i need to do before visiting the GIC (Gender Identity Clinic) for the first time. I've read loads of blogs and seen loads of vlogs, which have been immensely helpful. But as most of you know, it's easy to get that overwhelming feeling like you're in the dark about everything nad just not quite sure what to do to help things along. I really don't want to bore anyone but i just have so many questions and would be so so grateful if you could help me :-D

Okay so i live in the UK in Manchester and to start with i first went to visit my GP last year (2013) in January and by July i had had a visit to the Psychiatrist. After this visit i then received a letter in August from Leeds GIC - which was a copy of a letter sent to my doctor - stating that the clinic had received 160 referrals this year and that i would ave to wait till the next financial year (2014-15) before i could be seen. So i'm kinda counting of receiving a letter for an appointment by the end of April/May hopefully.

Now that's the clinical side of it, but also there's what i am doing personally to help me. Some of the blogs i have read and the videos i have seen are amazing, when some people have just stepped out and embraced who they are, sure this is incredibly nerve racking, but they've done it. The thing is so far i have only told a couple of close friends that i'm trans and in terms of dressing etc, i have only done this round the house or in my room while i can. I currently live in a house share and just moved in so no one knows. Plus i'm so uber afraid of what others will say and think about me that it just scares me to take those steps, plus i'm not sure what steps to take. I guess its best to just "be yourself", but as many of you may know its not always easy. To be honest i really want to start hormones, just so i can get a better sense of being myself. I have looked into self medicating options, but i've just read that this could effect if the time the clinic may prescribe me hormones (when that day comes). All i'm doing is just trying natural remedies like foods such as soya and wheat which are high in estrogen, but still it's not exactly gonna help much.
    Because i have just moved back to Manchester, as i had been studying at university on a post-grad course which didn't wok out, i haven't yet been able to set up a "base" as it were, where i could go and meet people who are like me to talk to and be myself. I know there are so many in Manchester though, i just need to find the right place.

I suppose some of the questions i have so far are;
    - Are there any quicker ways to get hormones through the NHS?
    - Do i need to be living full time before i can get prescribed hormones?
    - Should i start telling the people around me who i really am and try to come out and be myself more in public?
    - What things may i need to do before i visit the GIC?
    - Where are some meetings or events in Manchester that would be great to go to for advice and also to meet new people?

There are so many more questions, but i think they might be best for another time, or perhaps when asking people in the flesh.

I hope i haven't bored you with my questions, but its just so easy to feel lost, i'm just scared and i don't know what to do to be honest. Would love any feedback.

Thanks

Katie

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "The thing is so far i have only told a couple of close friends that i'm trans and in terms of dressing etc, i have only done this round the house or in my room while i can."

I'm amazed you got as far as you have done! When I saw my doctor they seemed quite keen to make sure I was actually 'walking the walk' so to speak...

- Are there any quicker ways to get hormones through the NHS?
    Fairly sure you can't, I mean it's not considered 'life threatening' so I guess you would have to wait for the referral
    Do i need to be living full time before i can get prescribed hormones?
    Last time I check there was a period of about 3 months where you had to be living in your acquired gender before they would give hormones.
    Should i start telling the people around me who i really am and try to come out and be myself more in public?
    I guess you could. It's not like you have to go around with a big badge on and tell everyone you meet. Try and let the people who NEED to know in on it, if for no other reason than if they take it badly it's better to sort that out NOW than when you're having to deal with the NHS and new hormones and everything else!
    - What things may i need to do before i visit the GIC?
    Unless Manchester mental health are a lot more lenient than Cambridgeshire, then you probably know most of the things you need to know. Just be confident about who you are and what you want. Know what you want and why, because they won't give you expensive meds if they don't think you should have them (and apparently not being certain, is enough for some people!).