1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do all transgender people have genital dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dowhatchuwant10, Feb 15, 2014.

1. dowhatchuwant10

Hello, i have discovered i may be trans, however i do not dislike my male anatomy at all. does this mean im not trans?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Nope, you can still be trans without genital dysphoria.

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is it that leads you to believe you're trans? I'm not asking for you to prove anything, this isn't an initiation into teh super secret trans society or anything, I just want to know a bit about your experience. There's all sorts of trans people out there, so there's not one single factor that makes anyone trans except for not identifying with your designated gender.

You can be trans and not experience genital dysphoria. I don't experience genital dysphoria myself, but I do experience a range of other physical dysphorias - mostly I'm bothered by my curves and my voice, since they make me look and sound very much not male. Most trans people dislike something about their physical sex, but there are non-op trans people out there that don't physically transition, and they're not less trans because of it.

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I agree.

I identify myself as a man, but I don't care about having a penis or not.

5. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I was assigned male at birth. I don't identify with my genitalia. I keep it tucked at all times. However, I'm not certain I want the bottom surgery, even when I begin HRT (if that ever comes ...).

6. Maverik

It would seem the consensus is "no, you don't need to hate your lovely bits to be trans", but I'm curious if there's different schools of dislike? For example, I don't feel a dysphoria about my genitals in so far as there mere existence bothers or disgusts me. But the specific... I guess "design" and "make-up" of mine are something that has bothered and upset me for a very long time.

I know it's fairly common for men to be dissatisfied with their penis, however I've always felt it wasn't just "too small", but even just "not adequate for my desires" if that... Makes any level of sense. I feel very strongly that a vagina would be a vast improvement on my part, and that a larger penis would not necessarily have ever solved my anxieties and dissatisfaction.

Is this still a form of dysphoria or would it be considered something else? (Not to hijack the thread, I'm hoping this is just tangential enough to stay on topic.)

7. Sarah257

Nope not everyone. That being said, I do. I have always wanted the other set, even if I repressed those thoughts at times. My current ones just don't suit me on really any level. In fact the only time I can recall ever having positive feelings about them was after sexual activity, and even then it was only because of the physical pleasure they brought.

@Maverik: It makes sense to me. I've never been one of those people who care about their size down there, and now that I'm acknowledging who I really am I can understand what you mean. It just doesn't feel like it's supposed to be like it is down there.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

No. I actually know a lot of trans people who like their birth gentinals with no desire to change, others who tolerate, and even others (like me) who are decidedly mixed.

If I had the option right now to have a real penis, I'd take it without question. But what I've got, is something I don't feel defines my gender and to get a little TMI for a moment, can make me feel good for a few brief moments.

I could definitely do without my body setting out on a monthly quest to ruin my favorite boxers and remind me of my low pain tolerance. :dry:

So it really depends. Bottom surgery (especially when you're a transman) can be a real pain in the butt to try and obtain, so it really depends on how important it is to you. For me, it's something I want to look into as soon as I'm farther along my transition.

9. Jessica79

As others have said no some people like their birth parts I personally do I would do anything for female genitals but I am only thinking about that further down the line as it is a very expensive operation my main priority now is HRT and Testosterone Blockers :slight_smile:

10. Sarcastic Luck

I don't have any bottom dysphoria at all, like Drwinchester, if I was given the option to have a fully working penis with plumbing included, you bet I'd take it. However, would I be content with using strap ons and stand to pee devices for the rest of my life? Yes.

However,these tits have gotta go.

11. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Yeah. I'm sorta that way. I am pretty okay with the parts I have, but I identify as male.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just wanted to add another voice here, even if I'm just echoing the others.

I don't have bottom dysphoria, but I really do wish I had been born a girl. I don't hate having a penis, like it doesn't keep me up at night, and I can enjoy my sexuality despite having it. But if there were a magic spell that would give me the correct parts, I would ask for it to be cast on me....

So ya, that's still being trans.

13. laurenc

laurenc Guest

the answer is no. I dont hate my male bits but if I could get a real (fully funcional) vagina i'd get rid of my male bits as soon as possible

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My bottom dysphoria isn't nearly as significant as my top, though if I could have a fully functioning, cis male penis, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But since surgery doesn't intrigue me much, I'm fine with what I have.

I care way, way more about having a flat chest.

15. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I am bothered by my bottom half, I dislike it, I want it gone ;; I have breast forms to keep me happy about my top half for the next couple of years till the real girls grow in from the HRT (or not lol we'll see)

but to answer your question, no, you don't need to dislike your genitalia, alot of other factors go into it all,

16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't experience bottom dysphoria in the sense that my genitals make me feel not male enough. But, I do feel really frustrated at how much not having male parts screws up my sexuality. If I could have fully functional male parts, you can bet I'd get them. But, not having bottom dysphoria doesn't make someone not trans.

17. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's dysphoria. It doesn't have to be intense disgust or whatever - just feeling that you'd rather have the opposite gender's genitalia.

Plus, you can be trans and not care at all about your genitalia.

I'm cis female and I can relate to that! I think everyone with a female body hates having a period.

I have really painful ones, too. If I don't take pain pills I faint from the pain (I've proven this on several occasions). I don't know if it's low pain tolerance, strong cramps, or both, but it really sucks.

18. justjade

I personally don't. I'm fine with having a vagina, except for that one week every month.....yada, yada, yada.... Yeah, that. Like Ettina, mine are really bad. I have to take medicine because I've been known to pass out and/or throw up from pain. I don't wish I was born with male genitalia because, well, I'm not exactly cut out for anal sex. My ass is like a garbage shoot. Stuff comes down, but nothing goes back up, except for maybe that turd that keeps trying to come out then decides it's not quite ready.

Anyway, so yeah, maybe a little too much information, but you get the idea. You can actually be trans without dysphoria with your physical body, I believe.

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm very dissatisfied with the whole body, especially the top half.
    I wish I was born cisgendered. However, the bottom dysphoria is not nearly as bad as the top, and while the bottom does disgust me, I'd be satisfied with just removing it. Bottom surgery is expensive and doesn't even work that well. Now, if technology improves, I'd sacrifice almost anything to have a penis. (Except my soul and money.)

But getting top surgery and passing as much as possible are my priorities.

#19 An Gentleman, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014