1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice (FtM)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CharlieHK, Feb 16, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

So I lost my voice on Valentine's Day (I know, great timing). And today I have some of it back, but it is raspy and...deep. It hurts to talk, but it also sounds like I am a boy! So I keep just saying words..and....and I don't want my voice to go back to being "okay".

So I was just wondering, maybe I should look into voice exercises or something? To get my voice a bit deeper (not permanently, I'll need to sound feminine in professional situations). I am on no meds (I don't plan on taking any either) so I have a female voice. It's not super high pitched, but still.

Any suggestions? thanks.

2. darklord

The voice usually is more deep when you talk on a lower volume. Also, the way you talk matters a lot, not just how deep your voice is.

Be careful about voice exercises. Some may have permanent effects. Trying to talk on other than your natural voice may also hurt your larynx if done in excess.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Thanks. I don't want to permanently damage my voice.

4. anonym

anonym Guest

Sorry to gate crash this post but does anyone know if you have to do voice training as well as taking t?

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One thing that has helped me is learning to talk more from my chest. That helps me to get my voice deeper. I also talk a little bit louder (not like yelling, but just a small bit louder).

T will drop your voice, since you are going through male puberty. Before it drops though, you get to have the fun time of dealing with voice breaks..

6. laurenc

laurenc Guest

so yall deal with some problems most of us trans girls deal with such as super annoying cracks ? (mine still does and im almost 18)

7. justjade

I've read that the more you practice, the better you get. A lot of it, as it turns out, is simply talking from your chest and not from your hose/throat. That's helped me a lot anyway. You could try singing the male parts in songs, too. Justin Timberlake is probably not a good example of this as he sings almost exclusively in falsetto. Maybe something like HIM. That band's singer hits some really low notes. Maybe also try opera (?).

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll be dealing with this when I start on hormones. It's gonna be a great time.. (My voice cracks as it is already since I have been working on training it to go lower. I can't wait to se what happens when it starts cracking from the hormones.)

9. laurenc

laurenc Guest

have fun . my voice is one of those things id give a trans guy in a heart beat bc it can be very male at at times and neutral at others

10. justjade

I feel ya. My voice cracks, too.

11. kissedbystars

12. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Thank you!!

13. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I found a really nice program on Amazon, called Finding your feminine voice... now I Know it is oriented towards MTF, however the exercises it has you do, I don't see why they won't help you get a deeper voice (for most of them lol) there maybe a FTM version.
    This program isn't a permanent change, quite the opposite.. the woman in the training videos has no trouble switching from a Male voice to a female one.... I've been doing it for about a week, and I have a more convincing female voice then when I started lol

14. Ruthven

And just in case nobody knows, that guy was 6 months on T in the vid.