1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the lgb and the T grouped together

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MrSmooth, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In no way shape or form am I trying to be disrespectful but being gay and being trans are two completely different things unless your a homosexual trans men or transwoman but I'm a heterosexual guy. Not to mention the fact that Obama is only fighting for gay rights and gay marriage I don't think they really care about are acceptance as much as they say. Like I already said these are two complete different things and its confusing to put lgbt together because then you have people thinking were just gay in denial, Were fighting for two different things here I'm a guy who just happen to develope the wrong body and I'm going to do something about it but thats completely different from liking the same sex. To me it just adds so much confusion no ones fighting really fighting for are rights.

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I would have to say it's about dealing with new ways of expression. I'm terrible with putting this into words lol.
    But a new way of thinking, dating etc that differs from the 1950esq ways of think (a man is a man, and should only date women) etc etc
    Plus when fighting for rights its nice to have other allies who at the same time are fighting for something similar (gender expression rights in its name not only would protect trans people but also effeminate (gay) men in the work place, as it entails how you express yourself to the public, in a different way then is the social norm for your gender) see what I'm trying to go for here? lol sorry.. That's how I see it anyways

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Because Heterosexual (bio genders) and Heterosexual (trans*) are different things. The T stands for Transgender, not Transsexual. Transsexualism falls in the category of Transgender.

4. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Hetrosexual bio genders and trans are really not that different, I'm still a hetrosexual guy either way you look at it, I'm no different than any other dude and you can ask all my friends, Half of them forgot thats how its gotten this year. Gender equalities and same sex marriage equalities again are two different things and it makes things confusing.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2014 at 02:35 PM ----------

Lets get technical about it how are we gonna try and fight for rights together when not all gay people accept trans people and not all trans people accept gay people, I honestly don't consider myself apart of the community no offence though, Know I do think everyone should have equal rights but how can a group fight for two different things when we can't even agree with eachother or feel they shouldn't have rights.

#4 MrSmooth, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

To you and me there shouldn't be a difference. But we don't live in a time period where people who are born male are going to all the sudden be just fine and dandy with being grouped with someone who wasn't born male. It doesn't matter that both are attracted to females, because our society can't look past the whole gender barrier.

6. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

My friends can they see me as a heterosexual guy.

7. Sarcastic Luck

I can't see how we're fighting for different things. Both groups are fighting for acceptance.

8. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Because were fighting for gender equalities they're fighting for homosexual rights, They don't really care about us. The only thing you see know adays is gay rights, I'm not buying that.

9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Because fighting for the rights of homosexuality is like a door way, when those rights are assured, it will be easier for transgender people to obtain theirs. Like my state, last year legalized gay marriage, after a lengthy battle, now there is a bill to be voted on for transgendered rights.
    Its not about individual orientation, its just about fighting together for a brighter tomorrow.
    As its been said "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" so maybe not all gays and trans get along, but again its about working together for a better tomorrow, where lil Timmy won't be bullied because he went to school in a dress. Or lil Johnny for kissing Timmy. See what I am going for here?

10. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still don't agree with that personally. I rarely hear anything about trans people but ok...... and actually that could still be looked as gay because alot of people still believe that if you dress as the opposite sex your gay. Were trying to male people see that's more than just wanting to dress as the opposite sex

#10 MrSmooth, Feb 16, 2014
  11. Sarcastic Luck

Facebook Expands Gender Options, Pronouns | The Mary Sue
    Blake Brockington, Transgender North Carolina Teen, Crowned Homecoming King
    YOu know, actually just look here: Transgender News, Culture, Opinion and Conversations - HuffPost Gay Voices

Please do research before making broad, sweeping statements.

12. Claudette

Claudette Guest

hmm ok think of it then as a joint effort to replace our societies 1950 ideology on gender expression and dating,
    But just remember not everyone who supports LGBT movement falls under the LGBT banner, some are straight people. So it doesn't matter what it is we're fighting for, its about fighting for true equality

13. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

I have reseached and heard about all the that. Please don't make assume I haven't and as Ive already stated I don't want to be grouped or put in the same catergory as a homosexual or even brought up in the sentence because there not the same that can confuse people and you wonder why its taking longer for us to get accepted because there are still people who think it means the same thing. Yes I think gay people should be able to get with who they want everyone should be able to be happy but I'm fighting for something different.

#13 MrSmooth, Feb 16, 2014
  14. Sarcastic Luck

Very true. I have two straight friends who both support me.

Well, then you shouldn't really say that "We're not in the news", because we are. Transgenders have an entire sub-section dedicated to them. There's also several websites that frequently have transgender news.

15. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I'm sorry that you feel you don't want to be grouped with homosexuals... But this hurts the cause, it creates and propagates the entity of belief that one or the other is hateful, or the stigma that homosexuality or transgendered is a bad thing, the LGBT is a unity to show there is no need to attach any sort of stigma to anyone that falls under LGBT banner. For us Trans as a group to want to not associate with members of the LGB community commits a self inflicted wound that would heavily stymie our progress for equality, not just as a group of people, but as a race of beings.

16. suninthesky

LGBT is a minority, T is an even smaller minority. If we aren't with the LGB, we have even less people fighting for our rights.

LGB people also sometime have diversity in their gender expressions and face a lot of the same types of discrimination as we do.

The two issues are so closely linked, and it benefits both groups. Love your LGBT brothers, sisters, and siblings, and be happy! :slight_smile:

17. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still do not agree and I guess none of you guys are understanding, But lets just see how far we actually get and me personally I mean I accept homosexuality and is down for equal rights but some of them get on my nerves. So really I just don't care for them to much and I don't really agree with everything in the community and how they handle things but whatever floats your boat. To bad none of you understand what I'm getting at. We have gotten know were cuz I find it hard to believe that gay people care they could care less about are acceptance.

18. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, not to mention plenty of folk in the trans community are also sexual minorities. A bigot isn't going to see much difference between a feminine gay man and a trans woman, for instance. There's also the fact that both communities are affected by sexual diseases, poverty, and abuse in higher numbers than the general population.

19. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Your still not getting it. :eusa_doh:

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2014 at 05:47 PM ----------

Where no fighting for the same thats just it, Unless you a homosexual trans person than fine. But I'm heterosexual. Gender and sexual orientation are two different things!!!!!

20. Sarcastic Luck

LGB wants to not be discriminated against.
    T wants to not be discriminated against.
    LGB wants acceptance.
    T wants acceptance.
    LGB wants to live without fear.
    T wants to live without fear.

Hm. Looks like LGB and T are fighting for the same things, to me. By claiming that homosexual transfolk and heterosexual transfolk are fighting for different things you're just further dividing to community.