1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Confusion

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cap’nSerious, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel Male and I am happy about it. I have always felt happy being a male, other than the 3-4 Month period two-years ago when I thought I was transgender. I wouldn’t say that I’ll be unhappy being female, but if someone asked me if I wanted to change, I would say no, because I’m happy where I am at now. Do you think two-spirited people exist? I have interests, emotional characteristics , physical characteristics, etc. that could be classified of both genders(male & female).

I love hockey( I know women like hockey too), love guy-like TV shows/Movies(action-like, not emotional type of movies/tv shows…) But, I love emotional, girly TV shows like (Vampire Diaries, Charmed, etc.) I absolutely loved movies/shows like Avatar(2009 Film), because it touches both of my two different sides (Masculinity and Femininity) This also applies to books as well, I love guy books and girly/romance books, and stories that have both.

I am reserved guy, I don’t say much unless I know that particular individual well, but even so, I’m not the most talkative person. Sometimes I feel as though, I have all those emotions inside me, like I’m subconscious whether or not people like me and stuff like that. I usually have very guy-like appearance; however, when I am drunk apparently I act straight girl and I handle alcohol as a girl. I have very little body hair, I do have leg hair, very little stomach hair, no back hair, very little facial hair, very little arm hair. When I gain weight i gain weight on my legs and hips, limited belly fat. I also have cross-dressed before, put makeup on and it felt comfortable, but I rarely do it because it is not “generally look-up upon” and I feel comfortable with boy clothes/no makeup. However, I do wear skinny jeans, uggs, etc. a lot, but I know a lot of Bi/Gay people do that as well.

I have very boy-like appearance, so I don’t think I’m androgyne. Is this just VERY BROAD Interests, or something like genderqueer or two-spirited, etc. Any help is much appreciated!
    Sorry for the long post :frowning2:

2. Sarah257

There are people here on the forums that identify is bigendered or gender fluid. I believe that falls under the two-spirit label... Then there are men who identify as men, but feel a bit feminine, so you could just be on that point of the spectrum. Alcohol reduces inhibitions and how you think and behave when under its influences may allow a hidden part of you to surface. Then again, it's not always the most accurate thing. I reccomend you try to get in touch with your emotions a little bit more first. It may not be what you want to hear, but I assure you it's important and worth it.

Overall from your post, it seems that you are just looking for a label. Labels are useful, but in the end don't change much about who you are. "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet" and all that...

I will point out that the last bit about looking like a boy and therefore not being androgyne is a bit off. It's not just how you naturally look, but more about being comfortable with looking andogyne (as far as just looks go anyways).

Lastly, I invite you to describe that period when you thought you may have been transgender and examine it more closely. Sometimes gender dysphoria comes in waves like that and only by looking at it can you determine if it was significant. In the end, the answer is in you. We can't decide things for you, only share our own thoughts and experiences so you may find some perspective.

3. NotBrokenYet

Two-spirit is a very culturally specific term that can only be used by members of certain aboriginal tribes. To use it outside of this culture is cultural appropriation and is not okay.

That being said, perhaps bigender or genderfluid is what you're looking for?

My understanding (put very simply, and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that bigender individuals are both binary genders (male and female) at once, or have a sort of very distinct 'male' and 'female' presence in their head that are both strongly there, and that genderfluid individuals identify as more male, more female, or somewhere more in the middle at different times (if you picture gender as one long spectrum with 'male' on one side and 'female' on the other and a neutral middle, a genderfluid individual would kind of slide back and forth on this spectrum over time, but might spend more time feeling male or female).

4. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right I do want a label. I do know there’s feminine men out there, I know some, but I feel like I have both of worlds kind of. I feel male totally, but I definitely have strong feminine side of me that takes over me. But when that’s more feminine side comes on, I still feel male. I guess when I talk about this more, the more that I think it just have more feminine side of me. My Masculine and Feminine aren’t extreme, I just find it odd that I have both sides of it. Minus the appearance, the term Androgyne would work, but I’m not sure I would label my self “androgyne” I’m still a little confused about limited body hair and weight gain areas.

Basically, when I thought I was transgender, my feminine just went in to overdrive, I hated being in my skin and I wanted to peal it off because I hated being a guy.