1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender therapists???

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Estival, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been considering seeing a gender therapist, but I realized I have no idea what they do. Could anyone explain? And would it be worth it to see one? I figure going to one would mean coming out (I live with my parents), so I'm kind of wary...

2. laurenc

laurenc Guest

what I know is they will talk with you about yourself and write you a prescreption for hormones

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Seeing a gender therapist would raise questions so if you don't want to come out maybe you should seek a general therapist that is LGBTQ friendly.

Gender therapy from what I know is one of the many steps to getting on hormones and eventually having the surgery. But it probably is way more in depth than that, I'm just not fully educated. Gender therapist don't just give the go ahead with hormones and stuff, they talk to you and help you work out problems.