1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a non-binary Icelandic person.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SunnyPoo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. SunnyPoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone, I'm new here, but I want to tell you all about how the Icelandic language is when it comes to being genderqueer.

Firstly, in Icelandic, we don't have anything that can be used when the gender is not mentioned or is unknown, like English has "they". There's just he, she and it.. and this and that, but that really doesn't help.

Secondly, most adjectives (if not all, I have not really gone through ALL of them) are genderized. In English, we have hungry, tired, skinny, dark and so on. You don't see what gender I am if I say "I'm hungry.", but if you translate it to Icelandic I guess it would be "I'm a girl and I'm hungry.) or at least that would be the information you'd be given from the statement.

Some genderqueer Icelanders use "it" because it kind of fits, but I can't help but think of an object if I use the term "it", and therefore I do not want to be an "it".

If I'd just go with whatever I feel like each day, I assume people will still refer to me as a female, because that's how they've known me so far, so if I'd tell people "call me he or she, I don't mind." I think I'd just continue being a female to them.

A non-binary life is a tough life in Iceland. :dry:

P.s. Excuse me if I use the wrong words at times, I'm trying to understand all the non-binary things, because I am pretty new to all of this. :icon_redf

2. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Introduce "gender queer" in your native tongue and see where that goes ...

3. SunnyPoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gender queer has been introduced, but never really been translated or taken care of in any way :/

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you make a sentence 'disagree' on gender? Like, if there's a female 'I' and a male 'I', and a female 'hungry' and a male 'hungry', can you say something like' I(female)'m hungry(male)'?

Sorry, don't know Icelandic, so I might be completely out to lunch here.

5. SunnyPoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, sorry, "I" is just "I" :/ So saying "I'm hungry(female)" would just state that I'm female.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How does the genderqueer (or all non-binary, for that matter) community feel about "it" being used as a third person pronoun? In English, it can be used for inanimate objects, but also a slur against transgenders, especially transsexuals, so of course it would be considered offensive.

Of course, it would also depend on what "type" of genderqueer you are, since some prefer one pronoun over another, for example, a bigender might feel one is more appropriate in one context, but favor another in a different context. I'm more of a mix between the two, yet neither at once, so pronouns don't really have a huge impact on me either way.

I've just looked through a few of the pronouns in Icelandic, and thought maybe some combination of the two might work as an idea? Someone mentioned that in Spanish, some people use the gender neutral "Latin@" so that's what I had in mind, of course, cases might make that a bit more difficult...

7. SunnyPoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are a few pronouns such as Hín and Hán (originals are Hann(m) and Hún(f)) that some genderqueer people use, but they can't be used when using adjectives, then some people prefer to be referred to as an "it".

8. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

At risk of offending the agendered ... What about the phrase "ungendered?" I know it misses the bigendered or gender fluid, but maybe that gets the point across a bit more.