1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About joining a trans support group

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Feb 19, 2014.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

So I think I'm feeling near ready to meet some other trans people in person and join my local support group. The problem is I have never knowingly met a trans man in my life and the idea of meeting other trans men in person who may be at various stages in their transition still scares me. I don't know why though.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This was a fear that I had as well. I felt like they would make me feel inadequate, since I was not very far in my transition. I found that in my case, the opposite was true. The trans* people that I have met have helped me find therapists, price hormones and become more comfortable with my trans* identity.

It's always scary to meed new people, but it's nice to have a support group that you can talk to in person. So, I would suggest that you try it out and see how it goes :slight_smile: If you don't like it, you don't have to go back.

3. suninthesky

I felt the same.

The only way to get over it is to jump in headfirst. Pull a Nike and just do it. If it helps, invite a good friend to come with you your first time. Many trans groups allow cispeeps to come too.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It was pretty nerve racking the first time, since everyone seemed to know one another, which only made me feel more out of place. Anyway, a few meet ups later, and I'm on friendly terms with most members. Taking a friend the first few times did help, definitely, but getting to know the ones on "top" first helped a bit, since they're the ones who basically explain everything and want to make sure everything is running smooth in their organization.