1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by clockworkfox, Feb 20, 2014.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I sometimes see girl's clothes I like and I think "I would wear that if I was an attractive guy" because

I do that. Sometimes. I'll find something in the ladies section I like the look of, but the idea of wearing it as I am makes me cringe, because fem clothes are cut closer and accentuate more and I don't want to accentuate my body as it is now, because it makes me uncomfortable and dysphoric. But if I had the body I feel like I should have, if I was post-everything and I was indistinguishable from a cis-male, I feel like I'd gladly wear what I like from whatever department I like.

I mean I know identity and expression are different things but it's one of those recurring thoughts I have that makes me feel like maybe I'm just fucked up. :eusa_doh:

2. laurenc

laurenc Guest

its not weird well atleast not to me anyways

3. Simple Thoughts

It's not weird to me. I've thought that once or twice myself xD

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I don't think it's weird. I'd like to think that's when I'll be happy with my transition- when I can wear a blouse and someone still calls me sir.

5. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you had the exact body of a male, you'd want to wear the clothes, but because you don't have your ideal body just yet, it would make you feel uncomfortable, right? Nah, that's totally cool! Wear whatever clothes you want, clothing style, fashion, based on gender is just man-made. Like what you want, wear what you want, be who you are, and it's not weird :slight_smile:

6. RoguesWolfe

^ That right there. :eusa_clap

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I feel the exact same way whenever I see girl's clothes I happen to find appealing. I'll sometimes look through my girlfriend's closet, and think, "I'd love to be able to wear that without being tagged as female." Basically, I'd love to have the ability to go out in public in a dress, or even just a feminine hoodie or something but not be mistaken for a female. If I were post-everything, or at least 'passed' enough for male, I'd definitely be open to expressing myself more femininely.

Like others have said, it's not strange, and I've certainly had the same desires myself.

8. anonym

anonym Guest

Clockworkfox I still like pretty decor. Is that weird? I will see a pretty floral duvet cover or wallpaper and think oh! I...like that :icon_redf but then I think about it and imagine having it in my own room or house one day and tell myself 'No I don't' because it makes me feel all weird and dysphoric as it would to imagine wearing a skirt again. I don't know what to make of it. I think one of the things that sucks about being trans is we can't be as free with gender expression than if we were cis. I'm sure it wouldn't make me feel dysphoric if I happened to like floral pattern as a cis guy. :confused:

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should shopping with my brother. As far as I know he's straight and cis-male, but you walk around and he constantly complains about how womens clothes are so much better. Apparently we have much cooler patters and things!

It sucks that it's dysphoric for you but it's definitely normal I think...

10. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm cis female and I wear clothes from any department.

I prefer girl clothes because they tend to be softer, but if I find comfortable clothes in the men's department, I won't turn them down.

11. Sarah257

I think it's probably just a thing some people go through. I haven't had these kinds of thoughts, but it's still early on in my transition. I imagine that there will be a few times in the future that I'll think things like that, but it will most likely be related to hats. Fedoras specifically; I have a thing for fedoras. :lol:

As you said, identity and expression are two different things, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :slight_smile:

12. ThePhoenix

If you like it and want to wear it then do it, simple as that. There is nothing wrong with it.

13. XTREMEZish

Style in the sense that only certain people can certain types of clothing is a bunch of sh*t someone put together to make someone feel bad. So go ahead, carry on

14. setnyx

i don't think it's weird. i often see pretty things and like them, not for me to wear but that i'd like to see on a woman. things like decor though if i like it ( girly or not ) i buy it.

15. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow, thanks guys. I guess I mean, I personally don't think that there's any relevence to the idea of gendered things, even clothing, because things are just things and they're not really male or female regardless of what demographic they're marketed towards. I just sometimes think it's not normal for me to see, say, a dress, and think "yeah, I'd wear that if I was physically male". It sort of seems like a one way ticket away from HRT, if I mentioned it in therapy.

Exactly this! It's hard for me to wear girly things now, because then I'm definitely getting pegged as female, and I can't even be upset if I get gendered wrong like that because I'm the one out in a dress, even if I'm unshaven and bound.

I don't think that's weird. Hell, I have floral wallpaper on my wall actually - I put it up long after I knew I was genderqueer, but before I'd quite come to terms with being trans. So now I'm like the only 23 year old guy out there with a pink floral wall. :lol:

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Must be a grass is greener thing. I remember wearing guy jeans and I was all "HOLY SHIT. These actually have pockets." Because you know what you get half the time? Fauxkets. Women's pants literally have these sewn in pockets- and on my pairs, you couldn't even cut them open because there was nothing there. Look, that's just wrong, okay? I want something I can stick my hand in, not "Ooh, this slims you down and makes you look all purdy."

Haha. But yeah. I know lots of guys like that. Men's department's not a rainbow of color, you know?

17. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    long live pockets!!

18. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pockets are awesome. I wish all my pants had pockets. Ah, well, I wear my jacket everywhere anyway.

19. setnyx

when i wore women's clothes (mom insisted ) i had to carry a purse, no pockets.now i have all the room i need for everything i need. all hail pockets!

20. Yosia

I like girls clothes better but can never wear them >_< I really like to go girls clothes shop too ^-^