1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigotry & Transphobia and how they feel

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AngerAndAgony, Feb 21, 2014.

1. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, um... Yeah, I have had my hair short and been dressing like a guy for a while now... Well, I was confused for the longest time, but now I know how I feel. Well, at school today, I was hanging out in a teacher's classroom, and one of my little sister's friends walked in and stared at me and said to my sister, "Oh, hey, look. It's your BROTHER." in a really spiteful tone. I have never told anyone that knows me personally and I was so angry. Well, later, I found out it was an inside joke, with my sister having been the one that started it and I just felt so horrible. I literally wanted to hurt her and her friend because of this. Literally I have said nothing to anyone, given no one permission to say that about me (Mainly in fear of the bigotry where I live) and I am deeply offended, perhaps not that she said it but with all the spite that had been in her tone. I know that if I want to be a guy, I probably shouldn't mind but it hurt so bad, and I just came here because I needed to rant and know that I'm not stupid for feeling this way.

Please, just say something, anything?

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Oh damn. That has to sting. I'm sorry OP. It really hurts when it comes from family like that... damn.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

You could always make lemonade out of it! Like "thanks for the compliment". But that's an issue with young kids, sometimes they don't know when to keep something to themselves

4. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like this idea, best way to deal with that. But yeah, kids/teens can be pretty useless sometimes. I'd suggest speaking to her about it, telling her you don't want people to know yet, and it's important to you that she tells no-one else.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " I know that if I want to be a guy, I probably shouldn't mind "

I don't know where you got this idea, but I find it's usually spouted by people who have never been the victim of something like this.

Just because you're a guy and you want to live as one doesn't mean you should have to take other peoples bigoted remarks with good grace because it 'comes with the territory'. It reminds me of what my mum told me when I mentioned I was scared about doing something I had previously done before I transitioned and she proudly announced that it was my fault because I chose to do this so I should just get on with it.

You SHOULD mind if it makes you feel that bad.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like being autistic, but I get offended if people call me autistic to insult me. (For some people 'autistic' is the new 'retarded'. Thank you, autism awareness.) It's all about the intent.

7. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys. This had ruined my day yesterday and it's nice to know that others understand and care because I don't get that up where I am. So thank you guys for your support.