1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans FtM and make up.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CharlieHK, Feb 22, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I have really good skin, rarely acne or zits or anything. I'm sorta allergic to make-up? I remember being 12/13 and my mom got me a makeup kit so I could look nice at this family gathering thing...well when I washed it off I had lives hives on my face. And attempts since then result in me getting red bumpy skin where the makeup has been for extended periods of time (1 or more hours).

Here's my issue. Since I'm non-op, and only male in the privacy of my home...there are a lot of people who say make-up is sorta expected of woman. My future career involves me working with Computers so I'll be in an office setting...and maybe I'm more concerned than I should be but it seems make-up is part of the uniform type thing.

I worry about pressure to wear make-up when a) it physically hurts me and b) it hurts me mentally, sorta like wearing a skirt or dress in public.

Any advice? Am I worried over nothing?

2. suninthesky

Sounds like you have good reasons not to wear makeup. Anyone who get their knickers in a twist about it should be told it's none of their business.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Employers can't require "females" to wear make-up though right?

4. anonym

anonym Guest

Unless anyone confronts you about it and I can't see why they should, I wouldn't worry about it. They can't make you wear make-up though I'm just thinking, when I used to work in a clothes shop, the company gave the staff information packs which said it was expected that all female staff should wear make up so perhaps it would be advisable to check the uniform policy of the company wear you intend to work.

I wish I had good skin. I still wear foundation because of break outs and to hide the scarring I have from so many years of teenage skin even though I'm 26 ffs. I'm looking into laser treatment because I feel that my skin is too bad not to wear foundation. If I was a cis guy this wouldn't be an issue because no one would question my gender if I used foundation or concealer to hide scarred skin. But when you are trying to persuade people you're a guy when you're physically female....As I'm not yet presenting as a guy, I feel pressured to still wear make-up because people 'expect' that women should. I draw the line at anything other than foundation though.

5. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I would understand if my job was to greet people face to face on a daily basis, but in a cubicle the only people seeing me would be co-workers. I have no idea where I want to work though, but I will have to look into the company policies most likely. Hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

6. setnyx

working in an office shouldn't be a problem.you probably won't be the only one. if they ask either tell them it's none of their business, which it isn't or the truth your allergic.

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in an office where there are a grand total of 3 males (I count myself in that as I definitely am not out about my gender at work). Though most of the ladies in the office wear makeup, a few don't, and honestly, I think they look much more natural and comfortable with themselves. Makeup just seems to make it like they are hiding something.

8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Honestly in females (who identify as such) I feel make-up diminishes how they look. My friend who has worn make-up everyday for years once woke up way late, had no time to put make-up on and she looked like death. It was then obvious how much she put on and a lot of people were shocked since she was like a ten in the face area. She held herself to a really high standard not knowing that maybe her peers now knew she was "fake".

---------- Post added 22nd Feb 2014 at 03:47 PM ----------

It is a health concern, so I don't think they could make me if I have a legit health reason.

9. anonym

anonym Guest

I think it's funny when the girls who wear the most make up and rate themselves so high look like a different person without all the make up.

I would say if you were in a job where you were 'the face' of the company so to speak, like on a reception or a representative then you might find there to be more pressure to wear make up. But otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

10. femivir

Make-up is "expected" of women only by the specific people who have that expectation.

I know lots of professional women who do not wear make-up.

And if anyone gives you a hard time (which they should not) you can either give the short answer "I'm allergic" or get on a soapbox and give a big speech, depending on which seems more appropriate at the time.

11. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Yeah I'm probably concerned over nothing, but the short answer of being allergic would get them off the subject easier than arguing how society expects women to be picture perfect.

12. laurenc

laurenc Guest

If your allergic you may want to never wear it .also I think you may feel a litttle better mentally too by not wearing it just for the fact others want you to.