1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjustment is difficult.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PinkieKeen, Feb 23, 2014.

1. PinkieKeen

So i am biologically a male. but on the inside, it just doesnt feel right. Ive recently come to the conclusion that im being forced to live in a body that isnt mine. And it is extremely depressing sometimes... especially living in a society where people are told they need to have "gender roles" and whatnot. But on the other hand, there are few days where i DO feel male. (Although far from Masculine) lol. i dont know if its because ive been a guy for so long and just started to get in touch with who i really believe im supposed to be? Does anyone else have this problem? :help:

2. PinkieKeen

MAybe i should rephrase that. I am internally (emotionally and personality) a female. want to be referred to as a female, want to start wearing female clothes. but i also want to be able to pass as a guy sometimes if i choose to because the idea of surgery scares the living hell out of me no matter how badly i want it. so based on that its only natural that i might have to pass as a guy sometimes right? but at the same time, i wish i could completely let go of my masculinity. (what little masculinity i have anyways lol). And if i had wanted to be able to pass as a feminine male, or just straight female where woulod i even start? people close to me know how i feel and are supportive but im also too afraid to go into public in my female attire. i usually just wear skinny jeans, converse, and tight girly shirts. but also.. i hate my hair. i dont like it curly and im starting to lose it already and im only 22 :frowning2: (which again is a stupid thing that males have to suffer from! losing your hair is like dying) so growing my hair out wouldnt work as well as other people... is it normal to want to just cut my hair and start buying high quality wigs to make my hair look more naturally feminine? idk.. im just so confused lol.. idk where to start. or what to think.

#2 PinkieKeen, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey pinkie, welcome to EC!

The first thing I think it would be helpful for you to do is to think of what you want, without worrying about how to do that, or what the result will be, ok?

So for example, if I personally want to wear my hair in pigtails. That is one of my transition goals. There is a reason I've said consider just the goal, without thinking about HOW to achieve them, or the results, because look what happens when I think about those things:

At this point in time, my hair is too short so I physically can't do it.
    I don't like wearing wigs, so I can't use one to fix the problem of short hair.
    If I DID put my hair in pig tails people would probably take the piss because I'm a giant trying to look 'cute'.

Those three things are the first things that came to mind when I though about it. The are really negative, and I feel pretty crappy about all of them.

The point is, when I think of those negative things, I feel bad about my goals and I start to ignore them and pretend I don't care, and that's when I get dysphoric and sad. Which sounds to me to be a lot like what is happening to you. I mean my ultimate goal is to be considered 'cute' occasionally, and you can check my profile and see that I am currently about as cute as a brick.

So looking at what you've written I can see a few 'goals' that stick out:

To be referred to as a female
    To start wearing female clothes
    To make your hair (or a wig) look naturally feminine

There may be others you can add to that list, just try and avoid thinking about 'how' those things will happen for now! Also, stop thinking about surgery!

While I'm on the subject of surgery. You say it scares the hell out of you, and it will. It scares the hell out of me, and I know a whole bunch of others on here. I know I'm going to have it, but it still scares me. BUT and this is important, I don't HAVE to have it if I don't feel it's the right thing for me. I can say for certain that if you offered right now, I would not have anything done to my face. Nothing. Nor would I have breast augmentations either, because I don't WANT them. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with it right now, that might change, I doubt it, but it might. Either way, it's a long LONG way off and not something I need to be worrying about for now. It might be worthwhile for you to briefly consider what it is about surgery that scares you! If you can think of anything please write it here, I'll happily share my fears about it with you if you like!

4. Entropic

Sounds like the same thing I'm going through here, only difference is I'm perfectly ok not having to look like a guy ever. I just fret about looking like a guy wearing girl's clothes :frowning2:

5. Sarah257

The general consensus is that, yes it does take a while to get comfortable with this sort of thing. It's a slow process; one that I am also going through. Sometimes, I feel "like a guy" too, but that phrase has a little bit different meaning for me. In my case it's more of a reflection of how people treat me and old habits, like censoring my feelings. Seriously, when people keep calling me by my birth name and using the wrong pronouns, I start "regressing", as it were, back to the mask I've worn for so long. Does that feeling change who I am at my core? Nope, but it does make me feel... off. Of course, you might feel that mostly you'te a girl, but sometimes you really are a guy. That's okay too. It really just comes down to how you feel.

About the presenting as a guy thing. You can do that if you want. There are distinct advantages to being seen as a guy, and sometimes it can be useful. This is particularly true in the beginning as you don't have to worry about the whole passing thing. Shopping or dealing with friends or family can definately be easier when you appear to be cisgender. In the end though, you might find that you want to pass as male less and less the more comfortable you become passing as a woman. I've only been doing this a short while and already the desire to blend in with the guys has waned quite a bit.

Many people do just that with wigs. This is especially true of those who are experiencing male pattern baldness or have really short hair. If that's what you feel comfortable doing and you can afford a good wig, then do it. However there are other options. For example, my hair can be fairly quickly adapted from feminine to masculine if the situation requires it. It may not be a dramatic change, but the effect does indeed make a difference.

Also, you are aware that there are many transgender women who have chosen not to pursue surgery, and can pass all the time right? Just because you don't go through with a little "nip and tuck" doesn't mean that you won't ever be able to pass. Though, most who pass do undergo hormone replacement therapy.

Anyways, just give it some more time. You may find that you are gender fluid or something else. From there you'll be able to choose the option that's best for you.

6. PinkieKeen

Everyone thank you for replying :slight_smile: now...
    As far as surgery goes, i dont actually plan on ever having it done simply because of the fact that yes, passing as my cisgender can be helpful or convenient at times. and because like i said before, it scares the living hell out of me. its a hospital thing, i had heart problems as kid in middle shool and spent alot of my time in the hospital for all sorts of tests and surgeries and stuff. so now, surgery is something i am definately not going to go through. but that might change later. who knows. plus cisgender is convenient Especially at my job which is kind of corporate and that ive had for years. but my close friends who work there with me know how i am outside of work lol. though Not too worried about my name as my real name can pass as both :slight_smile: Everyone who knows me also knows that i am a already a very feminine guy as far as my personality goes. i kinda started slow. simple stuff like Cosplaying female characters at conventions or halloween because it wont be seen as taboo in that kind of enviroment and is easier to feel comfortable. but i want to feel that comfortable in every day society. (although the other day someone did refer to me as "she" which made me feel very happy about myself especially since it was my first time dressing more feminine in public) usually its when im home alone because i feel comfortable knowing i can be myself without anyone there to judge me about it. i guess i am kinda gender fluid. maybe. at least for now. but the urge to shy away from everything masculine has been increasing more and more over the years. ive just purchased a set of wigs and im hoping that will help my problem a little bit :slight_smile: soo.. i know what my goals are. and what i must do to achieve them. all it comes down to now is having the courage to transition and know that i might get ridiculed for it. but if its who i really am then its something that cant be helped and itll make me happy and make me feel complete. im also not sure if wanting to still be able to pass as a guy is for convenience purposes, or if its just because ive been (biologically) a guy for years and years and its hard to let go of something even if its particularly not what i want.

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2014 at 06:25 PM ----------

yeah.. i worry about that too. have you started dressing female in public yet? if not, do what i did. start with "cosplaying" at social events and stuff to make it seem more "normal". eventually you should be able to wear whatever you damn well please without having to worry about it. although im still not even to that point xD but im hoping :3

7. KatieCutlass

Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, it's like I just read my own biography...

I went through / am going through all of this. Part of me wishes I could have instantly transitioned, but I still had some reservations and wished to remain male for a few reasons. I first started on Anti-Androgens. These helped stop my hair from thinning, and eventually lead to it regrowing. It also changes the way you think... you won't think in an angry sort of way anymore. That's hard to explain, because like you, I was feminine before, but anti-androgens made me think even differently.

After awhile on anti-androgens, I decided I would take the step toward femininity, and got on estrogen. It's a lower dose than typical MTF, so the transition is slower, and I feel more androgynous. Estrogen gives you a euphoric feeling, you have to experience it. It will center you. I've had to go off of it a few times (morning sickness, and running out) and I almost had a perpetual roid-rage til I got back on it.

My advice, is talk to a doctor, or do the research and see about getting on HRT... it will save your hair, make you feel better mentally, and begin to look the way you feel physically. If you're like me and can't afford a doctor, there is self-medication... but please, do the research before you do it. I did months of research before starting, and worked my way up to the highest doses, yet still had to change my regimen on several occasions.

As for wearing girl clothes out in public... that was hard for me the first few times. I started with one item... Skinny Girl Flare Jeans. Wore those around for awhile, and got comfortable in them. No one bothered me. I then got a girl's hoodie... did the same. Then a set of bras and girl's shirts.

Also when I started going out, in full girl clothes, I went to a different town where no one knows me. Surprisingly, I got a lot of accepting smiles. I even wear a bit of makeup sometimes.

But I still embrace a few masculine qualities here and there... standing up to pee mainly.

Hope this helps... hope you get to the happiness you want and deserve.

<3
    Katie

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "im also not sure if wanting to still be able to pass as a guy is for convenience purposes, or if its just because ive been (biologically) a guy for years and years and its hard to let go of something even if its particularly not what i want."

Personally I think this is one of the most difficult parts of being trans. Not knowing if I'm uncomfortable with something because I'm used to it or for other reasons. I'm having it at the moment with my voice, I don't have much of a problem with it, but it is very obviously male. Part of me wants to make it a bit more feminine and another part just sits there going 'nah, why bother'.

9. PinkieKeen

i feel the same way about my voice lol. its not TOO low buts its still more masculine than feminine. but at the same time im just too preoccupied or lazy to really do anything about it. could always fake a high voice when i need to. im actually very good at it lol. as far as girls clothes? i mean.. ive always worn girls jeans, hoodies and shirts because theyre tight and show off my body and they just fit me better. and ive often been told i have a feminine figure. (for a male anyway). and ever since i was.. 8 i think? people have been pointing out to me that i even walk like a girl lol. but still.. the girl clothes i do wear arent THAT girly.. mainly just black and purple which are pretty androgynous colours. not that colour matters THAT much, but it still matters alittle bit. lol. however i did just recently buy this ADORABLE hot pink plaid corset hoodie thing and im so excited :3 i was actually planning on wearing the girliest outfit i have to a big mall that ive never been to thats about an hour and a half away from where i live. its a perfect opportunity to get used to be feminine in public AND shop at the same time lol. i have a shopping problem.. as far as the anti-androgens? dont know if i spelled that right, but im definately going to look into that.. cuz i when i noticed my hairline was receding at a very early age (6 months ago actually which is early when youre only 22) and right around the time i was getting into touch with myself, i had an emotional breakdown in the bathroom for at least an hour or more :astonished: its extremely upsetting.. ive just been wearing wigs lately. my hair is still long.. shoulder length. every where. but in the front... which is where the baldness starts. and its very noticeable. thin.. and just awful. just. so. terribly. awful. I wish i had friends or someone who understands that would be willing to go with me out into public. id feel much more secure. but nobody really understands it just yet.. And yes it helps. Both of you :slight_smile: Thank you <3