1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wha exactly am I anyway?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by YamatoSumeragi, Feb 23, 2014.

1. What exactly am I anyway?

I'm biologically female, but gender wise I don't really consider myself to be either man or woman.

For as long as I can remember, I've hated being referred to as a woman. I also hate it when people assume I should dress/act like a "woman" just because I'm biologically female. That doesn't mean I want to be referred to as a man though! If anything, I'd rather just be Ash. I don't even use my "real" name anymore as I feel it's too "feminine" for me.

What does this make me then? I mean I actually told my mum that I don't consider myself as a woman or a man... She just gave me a weird look haha. I mean I don't expect anyone to understand, as this is a personal thing. But I would like to know if there's a word or whatever for how I'm feeling. It might make me feel slightly better and less confused.

#1 YamatoSumeragi, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    agender sounds about right...in other words, no gender at all, just you.

3. NotBrokenYet

I'm in the exact same boat! I've never felt that the 'female' label fits me well but I don't identify as male either (although I'm still in a questioning period where I'm really not sure 100% what I am or what to call myself). There are a LOT of labels for genders outside the m/f binary. Genderqueer or simply non-binary are my two favourites, but there are loads of others, too. Its easy to look them up. Its a matter of just finding something you're comfortable with. :slight_smile: There are loads of gender-neutral pronouns out there, too, so you don't have to be referred to as 'he' or 'she' if you don't want.

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand a bit, because I feel like something other than a man or a woman too. you're definitely not weird. :slight_smile:

5. Sarah257

^sounds about right

6. Believe it or not, gender pronouns don't bother me that much! I mean when do people ever use them when talking directly to someone anyway? Although I do wish my family would call me Ash instead of my real name sometimes.