1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

life, love, and HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Miss Emma, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Weird title, perhaps, from a girl who's pre everything. But, here it is none the less.

As some may know (many?), I'm married and have 4 young children. I, in October, found that I'm a trans girl, but had been bargaining with myself to be non binary (genderqueer, femme androgyne, demigirl, etc.). Obviously, by my gender marker and user heading, that attempt fell by the wayside. I love my trans girliness and it's here to stay. My wife has thrown around the "D" word several times.

HRT is pretty much out of the question, as my wife is wigging out about me "wanting everything right now." I told her as soon as possible; financially possible, humanly possible, whatever adjective you want to throw in there. She's the one wanting a new wedding ring (it's on layaway), to move to a small town (where her parents live and it may inhibit my transition ... But it won't). She's the one that "had to" move to where we live at now; she was depressed where we lived at before. She also "needs" a new washer and dryer s soon as we move to our new house. She also wants a HOUSE; not a nicer mobile home temporarily, not a larger apartment, which may be less expensive. And, these are her "needs." All I'm asking is for the much needed treatment for self-actualization. So I can express on the outside how I feel on the inside. I'm beginning to feel numb, as I feel my needs slipping between the cracks.

I'm just completely at a loss for what to do right now. I know many of you will probably say I need to do what's right for me. It's just not so easy. Any advice?

2. Nick07

Perhaps she feels like you want a new life and this is her way how to deal with it? To do big positive changes in HER life too?

3. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Yeah, I'm not sure. She refuses to talk to me. Not only about these issues, but about what it is that's bothering her as well. I know she is upset about something I've done. This much she's said. When I ask about it, "it's complicated," "i can't talk about it right now." But I can't fix it if I don't know what it I'd.

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

For me... After starting HRT I felt the need to do better since I am no longer wearing a mask... As a result I've been seeking higher paying jobs. Maybe you could use this in your argument =D
    With the right insurance HRT can be cheap. I found one on my states health exchange website that has no deductible, $70/month after tax credit, and I only pay $20 for my doctor visit, hormones are covered
    Also my Doctor recommend a diet change before I started HRT, loading up on phytoestrogens can be helpful too, while not near as actual HRT. Whole grains, soy & tofu, green fruits(avocados are loaded to the brim with phyto). Avoid animal skin, and cut down on red meat... I think white is ok. Because that stuff will boost testosterone.
    I hope things start to look better for you Emma ^^

5. Evil Kitten

In talking to my girlfriend about this she mentioned was that at times me talking about SRS as more of a definite makes her feel I'm putting an end date on our relationship (she is straight and I understand that along with the fact she is fine with me presenting as female in every other way, and I'm still not 100% if I'm not at least somewhere along the non-binary) This does sound as if she is trying to set herself up for the potential point where you are separated.

Also in regards to conversation how much does it end up mentioning about SRS and such? The parts where you will definitely not be want she is attracted to and the fact that either way this could be inevitable.

6. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

We don't talk about SRS. I'm as yet undecided on that note. I just know that I need HRT to express on the outside the way I feel on the inside. As I said, the "male" characteristics I express are more tomboy; I know I'm not the most girly-girl. But that makes me no less girl. I'm more girly than my wife, for that matter
    And I understand the comment about not absolutely certain about not being on the non binary. I've gone through that, and personally, have found that out. I'm binary, and a girl.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2014 at 11:37 AM ----------

And thank you Plenilune! I'm going to look into the phytoestrogen foods as well.

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I am a total girly girl lol I intend to SRS however I find women who haven't extremely attractive =3
    But yea diet can make an impact & I know this sounds weird but exercise less to as exercise stimulates testosterone production =D

#7 Claudette, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  8. anonym

anonym Guest

I don't have any experience when it comes to relationships and so I will admit I am probably not the best person to give advice. However I am having difficulties with my relationships with my mum and siblings (one more than the other) and what I am finding is that although it has been a while now since they knew I am trans, they are still very angry with me and in denial that I am trans. It almost feels like they're waiting for me to call the whole thing off and admit it was all a mistake and go back to being the old me. They don't make it easy for me to transition at all as in no way do they suggest that what I'm doing is ok. Each little change brings a new bout of anger from them and leaves me with another load of guilt.

What I am wondering is do you think you're wife could still be angry with you or still in denial, hoping that by telling you what she needs will somehow make you forget about it and it will all go away? I'm thinking this especially as you mention her wanting to move somewhere that may inhibit your transition. Perhaps she still is no way near coming to terms with it?

I'm finding it hard enough with my mum and siblings so I can't imagine how hard this is on your relationship but I know I have to transition for me and I think you know you need to do it for you as well. Maybe your wife needs more time to come to terms with things before you can decide more about your future together?

9. suninthesky

I think the issue is a lot bigger than you being trans (though that does complicate things.) I think they key for you two is to keep communication open. You should let her know this, and let her know you want to try your best to do that and you can't keep communication open alone.

10. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Anonym, suninthesky, thank you both for your responses as well. It does seem that she wants me back to "normal" and that all her plans will bring "me" back. I try to tell her we need to talk, to keep communication open. She maintains that she can't talk about her issues without a mediator. This is absolutely the one thing I cannot compromise on; my gender identity. Any more than she can, or should be expected to for that matter. We're going to a marriage counselor tomorrow and, straight away, I'll let them both know this. Before we get into anything else. I have lived a lee for everyone else for long enough.

11. Sarah257

Hey Emma. Despite the feelings that you're going through right now, I actually think you are being fairly level-headed. You have been trying to talk to her and make it work while still being true to yourself. Your wife does seem to still be in the "stages of loss" period. Try to understand that it can take a while for her to get past that. I know it's not easy having to slow down on your transition a bit (believe me, I know), but unfortunately it's something many of us have to deal with. That's part of the reason we are here right? for support?

The marriage counselor seems like a good idea; it may be just the mediator she needs to express her feelings and open up. With that, working through this may get a bit easier. As many have said, communication is key. Keep us informed about what's going on so we can give better input. Hang in there, girl. :slight_smile:

P.s. If you need to talk, I'm here. (*hug*)

12. Nick07

I am sorry, but I don't quite understand that. Do you mean since October?
    Or was your marriage arranged by your parents? Or what do you mean? :confused:

13. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally think that's a little unhealthy, but that's me. How strong is a relationship if both parties can't communicate openly? I think the trans thing is a big shock to her, and I don't know if she's really processing her new knowledge of you and what it means well, and that's why she feels a mediator is vital. I wouldn't be shocked if some of the things she says in a mediated environment are upsetting.

Don't bend on your identity. You're so much more than your body, dear. What she needs to understand is that by sharing this with her, you're not out to hurt her or make her feel conflicted. You need to open up to her because you need to be honest about who you are, and you need to bring yourself out so that you can be true to yourself and everyone else can see the woman you are too. She needs to know that you're not trying to be something you're not, and that if you were to try to live as a man for her, you'd be living a lie. Make sure she knows that this isn't some way of saying you're gay or that you don't love her. But also understand that there's a very real possibility you two will end up going your seperate ways. By transitioning, you'll be authentic, but you might not be who she wants. She's going to need to come to terms with that, and realise that even though you're going to change physically, you'll still be you. She's going to need to decide whether or not she can handle that.

Wishing you all the best! (*hug*)

14. Sarah257

@ Nick07: I believe Emma means all the years pretending to be cisgender. Once you let yourself out, it's very difficult to put it back under wraps. I had to go into town earlier today presenting as male, and I hated it.

15. Nick07

But she said she had started to identify as trans in October if I am not mistaken. She could have been confused before but I would not call that living her life for the others. She married, had kids, willingly. I don't mean it badly but I don't quite understand it.
    Which is my problem not Emma's, but maybe thinking about the reason why she put it that way, helps her to get closer to realizing what exactly it is that she wants.

16. Claudette

Claudette Guest

She means, putting everyone before her, Like their needs and wants in life. Living a life others expect from her, as a guy... I guess it is abit hard to understand from a non-trans viewpoint... I mean no disrespect ^^

17. setnyx

it maybe she is setting herself up nicely for when / if you go your separate ways. it kinda also sounds like maybe all these needs she has is a way to stop you from becoming who you are and leaving her.

18. Sarah257

@ Nick07: Just because you start to identify as trans and takes some steps toward yourself doesn't mean you aren't still holding back. When people still treat you as the wrong gender, it represses some of who you are. After so long pretending to be cisgender, it can be frustrating (at the least) to still go about and have to deal with others' reactions when they don't see your true gender. It brings back some of the dysphoria, some of the lie you've been living. This is one of the reasons why HRT is so sought after. It not only makes you more comfortable with yourself, but also helps to change others' perceptions of you. You have no idea how happy I am when someone on this forum says "girl", "ma'am", or "miss" to me. It really does make a difference. Of course, I may have misunderstood. If that's the case, Miss Emma can correct me and put it in her own words. In the meantime, I'll just drop it for now. This has gotten slightly off topic :lol:

#18 Sarah257, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  19. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

When i say living for everyone else, all the trans folks here hit the nail on the head, so to speak. Everyone else who ever encounters me calf me sir, man, etc.and it sings every time. It's hard to validate yourself when you hear all that from everyone else., when I go into the marriage counselor, I'm going to straight away make it known that I am a woman. And that is not negotiable. That is the only thing I won't bend on; that I cannot bend on any longer. I've developed a social construct (Jake, let's say) out of necessity early on in life. This is why I say I've been living for everyone else. I need to live for me in this respect.

PS ... I know no person here means any disrespect.:slight_smile:

20. Nick07

So I guess you did mean "since October".

I don't mean the following as an attack, and you don't need to defend yourself. Just another point of view.

Who was the decision maker in your family?

If your wife wanted four kids, she was probably happy to stay at home and wanted you to be a provider and the decision maker.

Right now though, she probably feels that you won't be the provider anymore, and - maybe - she just like me sees that you struggle with making the decision.

From what I have read from you, it seems like a chain that doesn't fit together: I am a woman, my wife is not a lesbian, I don't want a divorce, I want HRT. Maybe. I don't know if I can stay married and take HRT and legally change my gender. But I am a woman.

If this is the case and your wife feels this way, I am not surprised that she tries to be the decision maker. She already offered you a divorce. Maybe she feels that you are not sure what you want, and that is the reason why she wants to move.
    Or maybe she feels that you will leave anyway, so she wants to have a better place for her and the kids.

I am not sure how you want to transition and stay in the marriage with a straight woman. Maybe she sees the problem too.
    Again, just another point of view, ok?