1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you question your orientation first?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by softsprite, Feb 24, 2014.

1. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just wondering how many people questioned their sexual orientation first, and their gender identity later? And if so, did you find there were changes in the way you identified in terms of sexual orientation after you came to terms with your gender identity?

(I realize this has probably been asked a million times on this forum already! Just something I struggle with these days)

2. Entropic

I've always been the opposite, I've always identified much more towards being female, ever since I was young.

My sexual orientation however, I'm still wrangling with!!

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I always identified as female. Only recently realised I'm bi/pan.

4. NotBrokenYet

I've only really ever questioned my gender. Orientation..... yeah, I dunno. I've never been sexually attracted to anyone regardless of gender. Its really awkward and confusing when people go on about how 'sexy' or 'hot' someone is...... I just don't get it. I'll admit that they're good looking if they are to me, but I don't find people attractive because I'm not attracted to them. I've entertained the idea more recently that perhaps I'm just an aromantic asexual but I'm holding off on any labels for now. I think part of the reason I'm not really getting romantic feelings for anyone around is that I mostly dislike the people in my area just as a general rule, or at least the ones I'm regularly exposed to. So its not something I'm going to fret about right now - just gonna let things go and see what happens. The gender issue gets to me significantly more.

5. Niko

I certainly did. I would ask myself over and over if I liked girls, to which the answer would always be no. So it was very confusing, until I found out what the term transgender was and everything clicked.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I blocked when thinking about my orientation before I realized I was trans. I just couldn't see myself with anyone. When I figured out I was trans, that is when I started questioning my sexuality.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I questioned my orientation first. A lot of why I questioned my orientation had to do with me knowing that I was more masculine. It was later that I realized that I was not cisgender.

8. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Definitely. I experimented with 1 guy when I thought myself a guy. He treated me like a lady (for all practical purposes). I was still the submissive one even being a "guy." But, penises just weren't my thing ... Maybe he wasn't right though. I prefer women, but i suppose the right guy could be out there? I'm married at Ruhr moment, to a woman, so it doesn't matter now at least.

9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

When I was a guy, I never questioned it, had gay pals, but was interested in women. But now... I have begun to question it, and it answered back lol I have discovered I am submissive... and while the thought of giving oral to male genitalia doesn't disgust me, the though of dating a guy does, so... I have settled on Lesbian, including people that identify as a woman, regardless of genitalia

10. PinkieKeen

Realized i was Bi way before i started being Gender Fluid lol. (for now anyways. im still questioning that) but nothing really changed after. Everything pretty much stayed the same except that i started to wear girlier clothing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I'm at the girly clothes stage myself. Oh, and shimmer lip balm. Yummy! You're nail painting ...

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2014 at 09:08 PM ----------

Lucky for me then!:lol:

12. PinkieKeen

Thats exactly what i think about painted nails. Love the colour and love the feminity it adds. its slight but definately adds to the overall look alot more than youd think. Guys and Girls with painted nails Is a big thing for me. (but im not too crazy about the long nails) xD i heard a quote today that made my day and id like to share it even if it doesnt apply to all of us ;p but it certainly applies to me. ahem...
    "The best thing about being Bisexual is being able to reach down someone's pants and be comfortable with whatever i find" - Anonymous.
    idk why but that gave me the biggest smile ^^ ive been with someone who was Bio Male but dressed Female and ive been with Bio Females that dressed Male and it doesnt make any difference to me. Love is Love. No Matter Who Or What You Are :slight_smile: Cant change who you are and you cant change your desires. Being yourself is whats really important.
    Got alittle off topic there xD sorry lol

13. justjade

You know what, I don't actually know. I think I've been kind of wondering about my gender in the back of my head for as long as I can remember, but I had crushes on both sexes, too. I don't know where anything really started, but when I was a girl, I started to wonder if I liked girls more than guys. Now that I've got my gender figured out, I'm pretty definitively attracted to men. I think that, for me, there was a lot of confusion going on before I realized what gender I am. After that, I haven't felt the need to question my orientation.

14. Sarah257

Well, this is one of those strange subjects for me because it's both a yes and no. See, I've had feelings of gender dysphoria for a long time, even if I didn't exactly know what to call it. However, due to social influence, I hid most of that and tried not to think about it. So in that sense, I have sort of been questioning it for a long time. Despite that, I actually got into deep introspection about my orientation first. It was something that was happening privately, and therefore direct influence wasn't anywhere near as much of a factor. Honestly, I think that, subconsciously, coming to terms with my sexuality was a bit of a stepping stone of working up towards my gender identity. Now that I am coming to terms with my gender identity, there is a bit of confusion over exactly how I should label my orientation. Right now, I choose not to do so. I'm sort of in a wierd place as my brain tries to catch up with the fact that now I can be myself again, and the whole label thing just distracts it from doing so.

15. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Knew I had some liking to males. Was in denial for a bit. Then accepted that I liked both. Now? I'm not quite sure I like both...

16. suninthesky

I went from bi -> gay (but didn't realize I was trans and refused to come out because I wasn't a lesbian because that was feminine) to trans and straight, to trans and into girls but the occasional guy. I wonder how it'll go when I go on T?

17. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely questioned my gender first. It was only once I was comfortable with the idea of being a girl that I could even think about orientation.

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Sexuality first. Seemed more "likely". I didn't really know what transpeople were and figured what I felt was normal at the time. I went from bi, to lesbian, to straight (after I knew I was trans) to bi, to gay, and finally back to a comfortably fluid bisexuality. When I realized gender was my real issue, everything else fell into place.

19. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did actually. I can say that figuring out my sexuality helped me to figure out my gender identity. I used to bind when younger and have never really felt 100% like a woman but didn't know how to call it. When I finally let myself to be myself and gave in my attraction to women I noticed that in my sexual fantasies I'm always man when doing stuff to women but a woman when I imagine myself in the receiving role. Besides when I labeled lesbian there was something that kept bothering me and didn't feel right. When I realized I'm a both male and female genderqueer the whole picture just clicked together.:icon_bigg

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think sexuality came first as far as conscious awareness goes, but only because it was more accessible, since I used heterosexual relationships to try and run away from myself, and only after a few months later did I find about transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, etc. Back then, I knew there was gay and straight; man and woman (cis and trans), so that lead to a lot of questioning, doubt, and frustration for someone who falls outside of those binaries. It's interesting that even knowing little about the term at the time, I identified strongly as genderqueer early on. Even now, there are small details to be worked out, but the major issues have been mostly resolved.