1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder question.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by beloved, Feb 24, 2014.

1. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I've been putting on my binder more frequently. Not when I go out, but at night when everyone is asleep.

At first, it was kind of uncomfortable. Like it made my chest hurt so I only wore it for a few minutes at a time. Now it's really comfortable? Do you get used to wearing it? I feel so much better, emotionally/mentally, when I'm wearing it. So I don't know if it's because of that and I'm just ignoring the discomfort or if your body just gets used to it. What signs should I look out for when I'm wearing it?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, once I'd worn it a few times, I was able to break it in and it stretched out enough that I could wear it for several hours at a time.

I have mild back pain but I'd had it before I began binding. It does strain if I wear it for over 7 hours, which I try to avoid. I don't work out in it- for that I recommend looking into a good sports bra should need arise.

But what I get back in terms of mental comfort makes it worth it. I feel normal, actually like how I look. My body feels like it belongs to me. Hurts if I wear it long enough but if I'm dysphoric enough, it almost feels worse without it.

3. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, that's good to know. Thank you. ^^

4. HarryPotterFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh, this is good to know, because my binder's terribly uncomfortable :slight_smile:

I came across this when I was first looking at advice for binding, so maybe this'll help:

If you hear a rattling or wheezing in your lungs when you breathe in or out, take off your binder NOW and cough hard a few times to loosen up fluid. This means you have been wearing your binder too long or too tight.

Always cough hard a few times when you take off your binder for the day. This will loosen any fluid that has built up in your lungs or the pleura of your lungs. Be sure to follow with a few deep breathing exercises to open the lungs.

If your muscles under your binder twitch or spasm, take off your binder and give them a rest. Muscle spasms are likely due to a diet poor in magnesium. Many people using testosterone have reported muscle spasm problems, which are helped with a good magnesium supplement. Always consult your doctor before starting any supplement!

5. suninthesky

Woah, good info about the T and Mg, that's interesting.

Rattling and wheezing are beyond concerning.. it shouldn't ever reach that point.

#5 suninthesky, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much! This is really good information and I didn't know about the fluid thing.

7. Vince

Really? I've never had any severe pain wearing a binder. I wear a t kingdom brand shirt with Velcro adjustment and I love it. It's the more sports bra sized model. You do know to buy a size up for your first shirt right? I wore a large for months before buying a medium which was my actual size. I've never ever had trouble with the 8 hour rule. Sometimes I forget it's on these days. If yours is adjustable try loosening it as far as you can and ease it shut. You may just need to try different kinds though. Body adjustment is natural. Women's corsets work the same way, it's corset training.

8. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I could afford t kingdom or any other nice binders. :frowning2: