1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I be genderfluid or...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by xRollingGirlx, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Sorry for all these posts lately I just feel I'm figuring a lot out now...
    ANYWAY
    Moving on

I've always liked being female for the most part and would never want to change altogether, but I hate my breasts and my periods, and I absolutely don't want kids. I don't wear bras apart from school because I used to get bullied for it (I hate the things). I've never really seen myself as a tomboy because I liked dolls and pink and stuff...yet I always loved fishing and playing with "boys toys" (no innuendos intended) and so on. Some days I feel really girly, some days I feel quite masculine.

Can someone explain exactly what genderqueer and genderfluid is? I kinda get it, just what they would perceive the definition to be to see if I fit it.

2. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

It's not simple to explain well because "genderqueer" contains a lots of different words.

I can explain what means "genderqueer" for me. I am female assigned at birth and I'm a man. I don't want to make use of testosterone because I'm not gender-binarist, that is I have a different conception of being a man (for example, thinking I don't need a penis to feel a dude).

In my opinion, you aren't a genderqueer because you don't have "enough" characteristics :confused:

#2 FireSmoke, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  3. Ok, I get it. What about being genderfluid though?
    Can I ask something a little off topic, what is a gynesexual?

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I don't know what a genderfluid feel, I know only that there're more fluid and less static that genderqueers.

Gynesexual means simply I love girls :slight_smile:

5. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, lets break this down~

1. "I've always liked being female for the most part and would never want to change altogether, but I hate my breasts and my periods, and I absolutely don't want kids."

I think a lot of women hate their breasts and periods (I mean who likes bleeding and having cramps?), as well as not wanting kids. So, it's not really that strange to feel like that.

2. I've never really seen myself as a tomboy because I liked dolls and pink and stuff...yet I always loved fishing and playing with "boys toys" (no innuendos intended) and so on.

This is mostly the gender stereotypes society puts at play. Liking pink and dolls doesn't necessarily make you a girl and liking fishing doesn't necessarily mean you're a boy.

3. Some days I feel really girly, some days I feel quite masculine.

Now here's the real question. When you say you feel quite masculine, do you feel like a man in a woman's body? Or do you just feel like you're not as "girly" as normal girls. When I feel male, I feel like I'm a man in a woman's body. I can get dysphoria because of my breasts, so I bind. I want to present myself as male. With genderfluid, you can go from male to female to inbetween. When I feel inbetween, I'm just here. I don't feel female or male or sometimes it's a mixture of both.

There are a ton of terms that could apply here. If you feel only male and female though, that's bigender.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, let's break this down:

Most cisgender women hate having periods. Periods just generally suck.

Whether or not you want kids also has nothing to do with gender.

Hating your breasts may or may not reflect your gender identity, depending on why you hate them. Do you hate them because:

* it just feels wrong to have breasts, or it reminds you that you have a female body, or your ideal body would be flat-chested (why female-bodied trans* often hate having breasts)
    * or, do you hate them because they get in the way, feel uncomfortable, give you back pain, or in some other way cause you practical problems (which has nothing to do with gender identity)

Wearing bras or not usually depends more on comfort than on gender identity. For example, I don't wear bras because they make my breasts itchy.

Gender role behavior is separate from gender identity. You can be a girl and still like stereotypically 'male' things, and vice versa.

Do you feel like you are a girl or a boy, or like you're acting feminine or masculine?

7. NotBrokenYet

I'm not genderfluid, so genderfluid people please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that genderfluid people identify as male or female at different times. Like, if you were to picture gender as a linear scale with male at one end, female on the other, and nonbinary genders in the middle (which isn't an accurate way to look at gender as a whole but its the easiest way I can think of to explain gender fluidity, so I'll use it for this purpose), a genderfluid person would slide freely along this scale over time. They might spend more time identifying as male or female or more time in the middle with certain times they feel more male or female, there's a lot of different ways to experience it, but the gist is that they move fluidly between multiple genders, but aren't multiple genders at the same time necessarily (if that makes sense). Note that I say 'male' or 'female', NOT masculine or feminine. There are lots of men who act feminine or like traditionally feminine things and lots of women who act masculine or like traditionally masculine things. This doesn't necessarily have any bearing on their actual gender identity - it does not make them more or less male or female. I don't think not liking pink, bras, boobs, or periods makes you genderfluid. Lots of people who identify as female dislike these things as well, and there are lots of women out there who don't want kids (child free by choice!) or only have them because they assumed that that was what women were supposed to do. But in the end the only one who has final say is you, so I won't try and say you aren't anything other than female. Only you can really decide that.

#7 NotBrokenYet, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I find myself wondering if some of the few "masculine" things make me any less of a girl/woman. But I look at what they are (I can't really point them out until I do them is how uncommon they occur) and, really, they are things that go both ways; they're pretty androgynous. But then they make me wonder if I'm femme androgyne. Maybe, but then I look at my submissive feminine traits and realize that they outweigh the androgynous by far. I'm not talking make up, breastforms and the whole bit. For me personally that is a costume (no offense to others who make use of them). But the internal issues. They make me, me.