1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to educate my family about trans stuff, help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by alex3191, Feb 27, 2014.

1. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok so my family are excepting but not very educated about anything transgender (although they think they are) with my mom especially if I point out something she said (pronouns mostly) or try to educate her it tends to turn into an argument and she thinks I'm being petty and trying to fight with her, for example today my little sisters friend was over and this kid kept referring to me as he/him (which I'm fine with) but my mom turns around and says to the kid "no, this is a girl", my mom knows how much I hate to be called that I've been out for well over a year I've never asked her to use male pronouns or call me by my preferred name because I don't want to push this on her but I have asked that she stop calling me girl but she thinks I'm getting annoyed over nothing:bang:. When I came out I asked her if she wanted me to explain the whole trans thing to her and her response was "you don't have to tell me I've already seen how they do the operations on tv" obviously that's not what I was asking -_- My mom loves to read so does anyone know of any good books that could educate her about these things ?

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

The Transgender Guidebook: Keys to a Successful Transition by:Boedecker, Anne L

Your mother needs to understand that mentally you're a guy, and her referring to you as a she can break your reality, sending you into a depression. this book should also help her understand that it is more then just a surgery.

3. Just Jess

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

wow... that was a great read

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people