1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just want to put this "out there" so it's not inside anymore

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by yetanotherother, Mar 2, 2014.

1. yetanotherother

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi,

I'm a 28yr happily married man, but for most of my life I've shifted between wanting to be a woman and being happy as a man. In my early years I thought that my fascination was hyper-sexuality and curiosity. I became confused because the only time I would allow myself to indulge in the fantasy of being a woman was when I pleasured myself. In that sense I very much came to believe that my feelings were just perversions used to "excite", but now that I am older and a little more comfortable asking the hard questions, I think that it was a mistake to classify them as such.

At a guess, I'd say 70% of the time I want to be woman, but I can't help but feel that I'm too old now to pass. I know "passing" shouldn't really be the goal, but I think it would play a massive role in making my life easier/harder if I were to make the change.

I also feel great regret that it has taken me this long to be comfortable even thinking about these things. I know we shouldn't dwell on the past, but I can't help but feel that, if I'd made these discoveries before puberty, I could have made different choices and lived life as a woman.

The rest of the time I brush of my desire to be a woman as male curiosity. Surely most men have wondered "what if?".

All these feelings are compounded by the fact that (as a male) I'm very much a heterosexual (and married) and any choice to live as a woman would make me a gay woman, which seems like too much to bare.

I guess these are the things I struggle with and I just wanted to put it out there so that I wasn't bottling it up inside.

Thanks for listening.
    Yet Another "Other"

2. Nick07

Hi and welcome to EC!

I don't think that at 28 is late. I would be more concern about those 30% when you want to be a man. If you read the stories of other members of EC you will notice that sometimes it is "enough" to name those feelings, to change something in your every day life and to become more confident. Because it is OK to feel like your gender is fluid and keeps changing.

Would the transition make you happy, or would those 30% regret the choice? That's hard to tell.

3. yetanotherother

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks Nick07,

I understand what you're saying about how I feel "the other times" and I know I have a lot more self-exploration ahead of me. I feel like just expressing what I'm feeling is a step in the right direction though and speaking up about what I feel will allow me to continue my journey.

I have been reading threads non-stop and I just want to say that EC is a beautiful community, full of wonderful people and my heart warms to know that there is love here.

YAO

4. Nick07

That's very true. Don't be afraid to take your time. It is also OK to go there and back and try different ways. People often say that it's not unusual to change "labels" and to search some time for the good solution.
    Your situation is a bit difficult because you have a family. You have more hearts to take care of than just yours. :slight_smile: