1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answering Questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Miiaaaaa, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically, I'm booking an appointment with my GP soon to tell them I'm trans and want to proceed. (since if I wait much longer, I'm gonna burst.)
    But I'm still petrified of the idea, and I figure a way to ease the pressure is to get an idea of some of the questions they'll ask me. This way I can get thinking and reduce the chances of being shocked into silence. :slight_smile:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your doctor, assuming he cares at all about his job, should take one of two basic approaches.

Either, he will ask you to answer a bunch of questions you've already asked yourself a million times, OR he won't ask you any (or at least, very very few). Either way, the chances are they want to get you out of their hands and in to somebody elses and will probably ask you just enough to be sure they can shove you into the hands of mental health.

If he asks you lots of questions, you can expect the usual arrangement:
    -How long have you felt this way
    -What do you actually want
    -Are you sure
    -What the heck is is trans? It sounds delicious...

That kind of thing. Stuff you've already answered. If your doctor is anything like mine however, they might go for the second option.

My doctor let ME tell him things. Didn't ask much apart from how long I'd thought that and occasionally provided a thought for me to continue my own thoughts. THAT was tough, because I didn't have much to work with.

Basically just remember what you are going for and make sure you have the following phrase memorised or written down.

"I want to be referred to the gender clinic to be assessed for gender reassignment"

That phrase is your 'get out of GP free card' because you've told them that you already know what the procedure is (something you wouldn't bother with on a whim), you know what is wrong and you know who can help.

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, thank you! :slight_smile:
    That makes me feel a lot better about it already. <3