1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you been mistaken as?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RainbowGreen, Mar 5, 2014.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just thought it would be funny to think about. Before I realized I was trans (and even after), I've been mistaken for so many things. Some of them were for really ridiculous reasons, even. It makes us think about how much society needs to categorize everything, even if they end up completely wrong:grin:

- Straight guy (I did pass very well before even trying and people usually assume you're straight so, there)

- Lesbian girl (Couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't really feel a thing for girls and they probably thought I was a lesbian from looks alone)

- Gay guy (It's pretty much this, except that I'm not cis. The reason for it though is just so ridiculous! *I crossed my legs and he thought that was gay*)

- Tomboy girl (What I identified the most with before knowing I was trans, so I didn't take offense, but they really thought I would be offended by that because it would question my ''feminity'':lol:slight_smile:

- MtF :slight_smile:roflmao: No idea how one could get that idea. Seriously, I don't do anything remotely feminine! I'm mostly surprised that someone knew about trans things enough to suggest I was, though!)

So, in merely three years, I've been mistaken for almost every label that is know to common society, how funny:grin:

2. KanayaMaryam

Both my sister and my best friend have assumed I'm lesbian. =P (Mainly because I'm disgusted by male anatomy parts. =P)

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Queer woman- no matter how I present. I either get mistaken for butch or I pass.

4. laurenc

laurenc Guest

every day people mistake me for a typical straight boy with a good bit of tech skills that most people do not learn as early as I did

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People keep mistaking me for being straight. -_- (Just because people will usually assume you're straight unless you say otherwise.) And my mom says lesbians can't be feminine, so maybe the fact that I don't dress like a boy is making it harder for people to figure it out... I guess people don't notice the rainbows...

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm a very ~androgynous being~ so I'm usually mistaken for a queer woman, a 13 year old boy, or .. only who knows what people are thinking. I find it fairly amusing, though.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, to be honest, before I knew I was trans, I would often try to pass and laugh at people's confusions:grin: Now, I'm just annoyed if they don't see me as male.

8. FtMart

Straight Tomboy - Mother and Family
    Lesbian - Mother and Grandparents after I came out as an FTM X<
    Bi- Childhood friend
    My brother....I was trying to pass and passed as my little bro thats like two feet taller than me...
    Over all...every label I can be besides gay...I'm a pansexual...and none of who I am...

9. NotBrokenYet

I've been mistaken for a guy by a janitor, a homeless guy, a doctor at a walk in clinic, a waitress, a dental hygenist........ this is all just by wearing baggy clothing..... I have short hair, very little 'shape', and don't wear make-up, so when I wear looser fitting clothes this happens sometimes! This was all far before I started questioning my identity though.

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh gosh! I totally forgot I could pass of as my mom on the phone if I want to. That's just hilarious (and a bit triggering but, whatever). She's like 40 years older than me. I wish I could pass as my brother but we don't look the same at all:dry:

On a side note, what would make people think someone is bi? I don't really know any stereotypes or anything they could base themselves on, especially since so many people think it's not real and all:confused:

11. Grayson

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been mistaken as my little brother sooooo many times. It makes me laugh, because he's so short and I'm so tall, but our faces, hair, and the fact that both of us are skinny as rails is what makes us look so alike. I've also been mistaken for a butch lesbian and a cis male (yay!) multiple times.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This ftm curse led me to be called strange things. A lot of people thought I was a tomboy during my childhood. I was 'passing' before I knew what it meant. In high school the other kids almost always called me an 'it'. I tried to be a straight girl for 2 years and I got called a butch girl... while I was dating a guy...wow
    In college I said I was trans and they thought I meant mtf and asked me unexpected questions.
    Okay, so at this time most people were confusing me for a butch girl or a young boy; I came out to my fellow students on the admin college course. I was with a group of them between classes and we were talking and eating snacks. I said something like "This might sound weird, but I have the brain of a man. I'm a man despite this female appearance." They looked confused so I broke the silence again "If it freaks you out, I understand, it freaks me out, too." and a girl said "No. We like that. It's cool. It's your thing." and a guy asked me "Do you still have... did you get the chop?" That's when I realised they'd been terribly mistaken. So I blurted "No, I'm going the other way! I know you might've never heard of female to male, so it's weird... I understand." I eventually explained it to them... it was so AWKWARD! Tune in next week for the first time I drank alcohol....maybe

So I usually only talk about the bisexuality. I get mistaken as a gay guy sometimes. I guess I wear a flashing neon sign that's invisible to me. I'm sorry, I didn't realise my jacket had a sexuality! You could say it's half right at least. As long as people don't start trouble with me, it's fine.

13. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apart from straight female, no one's ever expressed a mistaken belief of my sexuality, but it's interesting to see how they react to my autistic behavior. I've been mistaken for:

* neurologically typical (the default unless I give evidence otherwise)
    * really smart person with self-confidence issues (they think I'm being hard on myself by realistically describing my weaknesses)
    * having a panic attack (I was actually overloaded but not anxious)
    * cognitively disabled (especially by bus drivers - buses really confuse me)
    * lower functioning autistic
    * ADHD (my school thought this)
    * a juvenile delinquent (my school thought this too - in fact I've only broken the law twice in very minor ways)

14. Lil Shorty

My entire family and my little brothers friends thought I was FtM

15. Nothingness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been mistaken for what I call the big four. A straight guy, straight girl, Lesbian and MtF. I'm actually just a gay guy but I crossdress so I guess some confusion is to be expected. I was utterly shocked when I was shopping with my sister and a guy started hitting on me. Frist I was flattered but then he said to my sister "your sister's so shy" I didn't have the heart to tell him he was flirting with another man. But it was funny I wasn't even in drag I was wearing a hoodie and some jeans guess I'm just girly by nature anyway that was my best gender confusion story. Now if I can only get gay guy to flirt with me we'll be in business XD

16. PurpleGrey

Nothing orientation or gender related, but people seem to never know how old I am. I'm either talked down to like a child, or called ma'am like an old woman!

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The few times I've presented female in public I've passed or "not called on it".

I however in grad school in my late 20s up to 30 was confused for a freshman by new members of my karate club...

Not a bad thing.

18. Simple Thoughts

Online where people can't see your face I've been mistaken for female more times than I can count.

When I had long hair, and worked as a cashier I think 5-6 times someone only half-paying attention thought I was a girl xD

19. Yosia

Me too!! People think im a girl like all the time and i like it ^^

I havent really been mistaken for anything else except when people think im straight i guess :3

20. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I've been mistaken for:

-online as a straight guy;

-in the real life as straight guy, feminine guy or gay guy :eek: :grin: also as androgyne person.

:icon_bigg