1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-coming out doubt

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by North, Mar 6, 2014.

1. North

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I already posted a thing about finding it difficult to accept myself, especially while trying to be realistic about how tough it's gonna be for me in places such as the workplace in the future. I'm still having doubts, and, even though I realize this is perfectly normal, I'd still like some advice.

I recently stumbled upon quite a lot of stories about de-transitioning, and some of them kind of shook me. I heard about a man who transitioned to a woman, lived as a woman for several years, then transitioned back into a man. I don't understand how that could really happen, but it does worry me a bit.

I'm not really afraid to be wrong as I am afraid to waste years of my life doing something that I'm just going to go back on. I'm not going to hide in the closet just because I'm afraid of that, though, I definitely need to come out. But I was wondering if there are any tips you guys have for doing that relatively slowly, to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong. What did you all start out doing? How did you know for certain that transitioning was the right choice?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "waste years of my life"

See there's your problem. Are you happy RIGHT NOW. No. If you transition, will you be happy? No idea, but at the moment you see to think you will be or you wouldn't be considering it.

If for whatever reason in the future, you somehow manage to decide it's not for you, but you were happy the whole time, then how was your time wasted? What you did was try something that might make you happy.

"to make sure that I'm not doing something wrong"

Wrong. Hmm. What could be 'wrong'. You could punch a child, that would be wrong. You could burn down an old folks home, that would be wrong. You could poison the water supply, destroy the rainforest and laser a wang into the moon, those things would be wrong.

What's 'wrong' about about you living as a guy. What's wrong about you following your heart to try and be happy?

Perhaps you're sitting here telling me that isn't what you meant by 'wrong', to which I have two responses.

1. I did for a long while, so did most people I know, and I don't for a moment think you managed to escape it.

2. Let's consider the other 'wrong'. As in a bad choice - how many times have you made a 'bad choice' or the 'wrong decision' before? I'm thinking loads. Now I have 2 questions.

First, how many times did those choices end your life, either literally or metaphorically.

Second, how many times where you options "Choose to try and be happy OR remain DEFINITELY unhappy"