1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about coming out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Enya, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Enya

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm currently thinking about coming out to my parents after feeling transgender for nearly a year now. I'm seventeen and I live at home with them but am not sure how they will react. They've always said they would love me and my brother no matter what but I'm unsure. A little while ago I shaved most of my body hair off and my mom got really upset and since then I've been growing out my hair, it's about six inches in length.

My issue is that I think if I come out they might help me by allowing me to go see a gender therapist. Otherwise if I stay quite I'll have to use hormones myself without medical monitoring since the wait is killing me. I also am having trouble feminizing myself considering I have like no idea what I'm doing/using. It's just that this issue alone is extremely distracting for me making me careless to just about anything else right now

2. hardwiredheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Personally, coming out to my parents as a transguy was the best decision I could have made, which feels weird to say because for a year afterward they were very abusive to me (but they weren't great in the first place). I felt much better after I said something to them and they were given time to think it over. Now they're a little better and they're getting there, and soon I'll be able to take hormones- even if it's still after I turn 18 in a year.

So, I would say definitely tell them if you think you can handle it! If they've said they'll love you no matter what, then they're not just going to give up on it because you were honest with them. You deserve to be happy and to be seen for who you are. :slight_smile:

3. Jessica79

All I can say is do what you think you are ready for, I am also 17 and came out last october and it was a massive weight off my shoulders but at the same time for the first 2 months or so I got plenty of sour looks off my dad and non acceptance it may be different in your case but try weighing out the pros and the cons

4. Enya

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Ok I'll continue thinking it over as to what I'll do and will try and save it for a day when both of them are in a good mood so they won't get too angry about it