1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like I'm Non-Binary

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Music Soul, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Music Soul

Hey guys, so I've been questioning my gender a lot and I think I'm genderqueer or something else that's non-binary. I've always felt weird as a female, like whenever I'm with other girls I feel like there is something different about me. I've got a masculine appearance, strangers usually think I'm a guy and call me "he". (I try to dress androgynously but people still think I'm a guy). Being addressed by male pronouns feels kind of awkward, sometimes I'm okay with it sometimes I'm not. Female pronouns don't bother me as much, they just don't feel quite right at times. I don't want to be seen as a guy or a girl, just as a person. Have any of you ever felt this way?

2. NotBrokenYet

I'm in exactly the same place right now. I present more masculinely, but I don't identify as male, and when I think of myself as female, it also feels extremely odd. I've become more aware as of late as to how uncomfortable /i feel thinking of myself as a girl, or others thinking of me as a girl. I wish people would just look at me as a person instead of having to assign a gender label more often than not.

3. musicrebel

Yeah I feel the same way. I just don't identify being a girl because I dress masculine and present myself as more masculine, but I do feel strange if people refer me as "he" or "sir", which has happened quite frequently.

4. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Well hello there. I can actually relate here. I've been trying to figure myself out for some time and have recently done so. I'm bio male but have been exploring my feminine traits,as my bipolar therapy dug up some past issues that seemed to point toward transgender.

I've always had these tendencies toward the feminine. Been better friends with girls, did what they did at recess or whatever. But I was raised was a boy/man. Well, long story short, I've found that my feminine traits outweigh my masculine(I'm really tomboyish if masculine at all). But they are a part of who I am so I'll jp

5. lameo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am not in your boat, but if you are apathetic towards it you shouldn't stress yourself.

6. darklord

I definitely feel this way... I see myself as just a human being. I have "female parts" but I dislike being called woman, and especially expectations based on that.
    I have androgynous looks and bodybuild, but I've been told my behaviour is quite girly. But I don't feel like a woman and I don't like having female parts. I know there is a lot of femininity in me, but there is also masculinity, and neither makes me a man or a woman.

7. darklord

I definitely feel this way... I see myself as just a human being. I have "female parts" but I dislike being called woman, and especially expectations based on that.
    I have androgynous looks and bodybuild, but I've been told my behaviour is quite girly. But I don't feel like a woman and I don't like having female parts. I know there is a lot of femininity in me, but there is also masculinity, and neither makes me a man or a woman.

8. Emulator

You can try asking some people you know to call you using other pronouns, if you're comfortable with that.

Well, I feel that way so much. Gender. Why do people have to bother so much about it? It's a rule of society.
    Unfortunately I don't have many tips for passing as androgynous. I'm not passing well either (people's mindsets), but I'll care about that bit later. After all, you are who you think you are, so if you just want to be a person, then you'll be a person. Don't stress over it. :slight_smile:

9. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Oops ... Damn alcohol ... Forgot what I was saying and I was OUT!:dry:

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty uncomfortable living as fully man or woman, prefer gender-neutral pronouns, and don't see hormone therapy or surgery as mandatory steps towards transition. There are days I feel more masculine, days I feel more feminine, but to say I've ever fully felt one or the other?

There are plenty of grey areas between the two binary genders, and even outside of them! You'll find that there are a few overlaps between the various labels, but do try to keep in mind that what's important is being yourself, and not feeling pressured to identify or express yourself a certain way. There's really no right or wrong answer.

11. Music Soul

Thanks for all the replies!