1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared of old friends and family

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RainbowGreen, Mar 7, 2014.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since I found out I was trans, I've been doing coming outs to my close family and school in general. After doing so much coming outs in such a short time, I exhausted myself and I no longer want to do it. The thing with coming as trans is that, unlike coming out as gay, I have to explain everything! What I mean is that no one knows what being trans means where I live when, obviously, I don't have to explain what being gay is. Not only that, but I have to explain it in French, too! (The terms we use here haven't been translated to French, hence I must find some new words and it gets complicated for nothing). With all that, I've been avoiding family and old friends like crazy since then because I fear of being misgendered so much. I don't know what their reaction is going to be and I just don't want to deal with it.

After taking T, I assume it won't bother me as much because they won't misgender me and it'll be easier to explain it all. It's just that for now, I still have one friend who tries to get in contact with me and it's getting annoying...

2. femivir

that must be utterly exhausting!

And I appreciate the fact that your task is made more difficult by the fact that mtf's get a lot more publicity than ftm's.

I wish you the best. You are being very courageous, and are showing integrity by taking the time to explain things carefully. You have every right to feel that you want to take a break for awhile. It is perfectly understandable.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, and I feel a bit relieved that I don't have to come out as non-binary, because then there's really no terms to use and no neutral pronouns in French. I wish English wasn't the only language to have those terms:dry: