1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being on T and Birth Control?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Galah2, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Galah2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is it possible to be taking testosterone shots while also taking birth control? My mom is okay with me taking birth control, since she thinks it's just for the pregnancy aspect (I personally just want to be done with my period, lol. #ftmprobs). But my question is, should I start taking testosterone, or will this affect me in any way if I'm also taking birth control at the same time? I'd only be taking hormonal birth control, as opposed to spermicides or that kind of thing. I'm talking more along the lines of the pill, shot, patch, etc.

Thanks for any help!

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a doctor or anything, but I don't think that this is going to work out too well for you. Most birth control is female hormones, and T is male hormones.. so they would counteract each other.

3. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Taking testosterone will eventually shut down your ovaries egg production, therefore making you infertile, even early on it will hamper any pregnancy you maybe carrying(and significantly lower chance of getting pregnant)
    Now I'm not sure if it affects your period or not. I would assume it does though, as it seems to be opposite of taking estrogen in men. Shuts down sperm production, and gives me Period like symptoms, among other things.

I am pretty sure infertility is a permanent thing as well, but it takes awhile to take effect
    But as Brad stated, I would also advise against taking both
    Much like he said, I am not a doctor lol

4. Sarcastic Luck

Testosterone will eventually cause you to stop having your period after about five months or so. It's probably not a good idea to take birthcontrol while you're on testosterone since you're putting more female hormones into your body. For me, personally, female hormones causes me to flat lose my shit.

There are birthcontrols that are synthetic hormones, however, but I have no idea how these would affect the testosterone. It honestly boils down to talking to your doctor. They would be able to give you a better idea of if it's safe or not rather than us.

Now. Stopping periods with birth control? I can absolutely give you advice based on personal experience and research :grin:

If you're wanting to be done with periods, you have a couple of options.

Shot:
    Pros: Every three months, will stop your period.
    Downside: if you want to start T, you'll probably need to wait till the shot gets out of your system and the shot, over time, will cause bone density loss. So, if you go that route, you'll need to take supplements.

Estrogen based pills:
    Pros: Most common BC out there making it the cheapest. I was able to get the generic for ortho-tricyclid from wal-mart for $9 with tax and without insurance.
    Cons: Pill; have to be taken daily. Female hormones and FTMs don't always get along. For me, it made me severely depressed, bordering suicidal, and a mental zombie. It also will not stop your period unless you skip the spacers which isn't recommended because you'll run out of your prescription faster.

Progesterone only pills (POP):
    Pro: Very high chance it will stop your period. Will also heavily reduce periods to light spotting.
    Cons: Pill that needs to be taken daily. More expensive than the estrogen based.

I'm currently on a POP called Norenthindrone. I started it in September and by December, I stopped having periods entirely. If you can, I highly, highly recommend it. Even if it doesn't stop your periods, it will reduce them down to being very, very light which can seriously help dysphoria if you have that. On top of that, if you're planning on going on T, taking a pill will allow the hormones to get out of your system compared to a patch or shot.

Essentially, if you're on birth control when you go to get T, inform your doctor. Voice your concerns about things. They'll be able to work with you and help you decide what would be best.

5. Galah2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Alright, thanks to all of you for your feedback. :slight_smile: I think I'll just wait until I'm ready to be on T. I'll work it out with my doc also. I hate to be a bother, but one more question: if I were to start taking T, how long would it be approximately until I started to hear a vocal change? Thanks again for your help. :slight_smile:

6. laurenc

laurenc Guest

im not a doctor but I am pretty sure that taking t and birthcontrol (female hormones)at the same time would cause you harm and would possibly cancel or delay your physical transition