1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An interesting article I found about transgender people and the media.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BradThePug, Mar 10, 2014.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I myself am going into a media field, so I thought that this was an interesting article. I thought that I would post this for others that may be interested in the topic. It offers some insight into how the media deals with transgender people.

The quickly shifting language of the transgender community

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know even being part of the tg umbrella myself... Some of those terms are bewildering to be honest. You know I support anything but for some necessary reasons there has to be some sort of limit to gender identification. I like being politically correct as the next person and respecting people's wishes but when you call someone "Ze" and they get pissed you don't refer to them as "two spirit" then there's an issue... not saying I've encountered that but that article doesn't lead me to believe it may never be encountered by someone.

I dunno, just my view.

3. Galah2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It bothers me to no end when the media refuses to acknowledge people as their desired gender. I get that it's confusing to the ignorant masses, but for the sanity of myself and most people who are sensitive to these issues, it makes me go ape when they refer to the trans person as their birth sex or their genitalia. I don't care if the masses get confused, its degrading and disrespectful in my opinion.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see how the article gives that impression at all. And the people I've found who identify as non-binary aren't nearly so picky about it.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "56 gender options"
    Mind = blown.
    Well, I'm FaceBook dumb. I never used it. I think that's cool though. Mostly. I'll respect as best I can unless it becomes utterly confusing and I'm convinced the person is trolling. For example; I was chastised for saying 'people' and told to say 'beings'. I don't see what is offensive about calling people human. Even I've got unusual spiritual beliefs but I know I'm living as human, good grief. I gave up on Tumblr around the same time a guy told me Robot Wars was cruelty to robots.

People who refer to trans people as the wrong gender... of course that ticks me off. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." That's the problem. You can't force them to discard the ignorance.

In 2012 I was interviewed for a paper and I said 'please use plain old male pronouns'. This college chick told me 10+ pronouns and that she's cool with them. I thought that was a lot! She was so interested by the ftm thing I had that she mentioned it in her paper as well. I said that's okay as long as you make me anonymous.

She was cool, I guess "'If I say anything at all to offend you I am really sorry!" is about as nice as you can get. Good intentions. Holy heck, that was refreshing!